Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Phone lines, the whole truth!

If there is a phone jack within 25 feet of the receiver, I hook up the phone line. But if I have to buy a box of phone line for x amount of dollars and then install it free of charge, that is crap.

I used to work for Premier Comm (DirecTV HSP) and also TB Consulting in Louisiana and both companies told me that I have to provide phone lines for all customers free of charge up to 100' in distance for each jack. It used to be that we could charge up to $25 for each wired phone line if a jack wasn't within 25 feet of the receiver. I usually only charged $10 to do the work no matter how many lines there were, just to cover my costs and time. But Premier found out about it and shut that down quickly because they weren't making any money off of my money. TB tried the same thing but I continued to do it.

Bottom line is I am taking extra time to install a phone line for $60 for one receiver and $15 for each extra. That is bull, I checked with a friend of mine who works for Verizon and for them to do it they get roughly $15 per line residential. DirecTV needs to allow techs to charge at least a base price for phone lines which is considered custom work. Read over your contract carefully, don't allow your HSP or Contractor to stiff you on custom work.

As far as I remember from the good old days before HSP's started screwing techs out of money, DirecTV (not HSP's) require the dish installed, RG-6 coax to the receiver, and a land based phone line installed to the receiver if a jack exists within 25' of the receiver. Nothing about adding a phone jack to the customers house free of charge. Just my 2 cents.
This is CABL.com posting #167284. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mRGi
Posted in reply to: Phone lines, the whole truth! by oldschooldbstech
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Phone lines, the whole truth! Gwester843 5/5/2006 9:20:00 AM
Re: Phone lines, the whole truth! cablepro222000 5/4/2006 8:36:00 PM