Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime pay on piece work

I thought I did answer your question. I nor anyone else can consider themselves IC or contractor. The quote you mentioned was the definition that everyone understands. Everyone is under the understanding that if I install satellites and get a 1099 for the purposes of normal discussions in his forum I an a contractor. I try to only do my own sales and installs. I also mostly worked with dealers who send me work, but I schedule with the customer. When I first started this was the norm of most sat installers I knew. We really set our own schedules like a contractor should.

In the past 6 or 7 months this type of work is hard to come by. Most people now want you pull jobs that are pre scheduled. Yes, I do accept this work. Yes I do make it known that our relationship doesnt seem to be a true contractor - subcontractor relationship. Some stop sending me work. Some could care less because I think they feel Im just a "dumb installer".

I must tell you, that is not my letter from the IRS. It is something I thought was very informative and decided to share. It was posted by someone on another forum.

Yes I support organized labor, I try to get as many installers as I can involved with CWA local 4250. But what does this have to do with companies breaking the law and not paying certain people OT. Nothing. I know the reason most company owners dont like the union types because we feel the laws should be followed. But i must tell all you owners, your world is safe. You have been very successful in building a workforce that believes that companies who bid on jobs with numbers that will not allow them to pay a good wage AND obey the law is good for them. It's just about impossible to explain to them this is part if the reason the rates go down, but the cost of the product they install constantly goes up. You're safe, trust me. Installers seem to take much pride in the pay cuts. We would take more pay and better working conditions as an insult.

Many of you are owners or managers. The fact you take the time to discuss things here is great. But what I realize is that for every 1 of you that participate there are 5 who sit back and post nothing partly because they aren't worried. They know people who expect companies to obey the law are frowned upon. They know people like myself will be viewed as lazy trouble makers, and although they are the ones who are breaking the law, I will be the one said to be destroying the industry.

I have a few questions. I have the most non-confrontational tone possible when posting this. I really want to understand. Really I do. So someone please answer this for me.

1. Why do companies continue to bid with numbers that wont allow them to pay good wages and obey the law? Why are installers only given the choice of, the company will obey the law but it will cost you, the worker, pay?

1a Isnt the TRUE value of our work determined how much we make when all laws are followed??

2. Why is bidding with figures that will allow you to pay well and obey ALL laws not an option?

3. How is being an industry full of companies who break the law and STILL cut pay better for installers than having companies who observe ALL the laws and will only bid with figures that will allow them to pay well AND obey the law?

4. Are my comments just totally insane and crazy?

5. Is reform needed in this industry or are installers in this business to work for companies who dont observe the laws and constantly administer pay cuts?

6. How is it installers complain about the rate cuts, but support the system that causes them?

I really want to understand. HELP ME, please. Because Im just not getting it.
This is CABL.com posting #163586. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQIE
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime pay on piece work by dumyid
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Overtime pay on piece work captaincoax 3/18/2006 5:02:00 PM
Re: Overtime pay on piece work dumyid 3/18/2006 11:48:00 AM