Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime pay on piece work

I get that. We only tinker a little in the cable biz. The people working for us doing both cable and non-cable work are employees of ours and we pay them OT, so you don't need to explain the rules to me. You also need to realize that as a business owner, we try to limit the OT, so we go out and hire somebody part-time to take the OT hours away from employees who would be more than willing to work it for a little extra cash. Not terribly beneficial to them, but that's the way it has to be "under the law". Now...margins in the janitorial business are extremely low, so if something comes up that needs done right away, maybe we work something out with an employee and he or she works a few hours extra at straight time so we don't either take a loss or take a chance of losing a client. Whatever the case, we try to make it up to them later (paid day off, bonus, etc) and everybody's perfectly happy. I also understand that you copied all of that information from the reply you got from the IRS last year when they ruled in your favor against a former employer, and that you're trying to unionize satellite installers by drumming up support on different websites. My point isn't to take a union-vs-non union stand. Just trying to get all the facts. You never answered my question, though. Since you're all about facts, let's try this again. On Dec. 25, 2005, you stated "I install satellite systems. I am an independent contractor." So...do you still consider yourself an independent contractor? Assuming you do, when you look for work do you go into the relationship with your potential employer as an independent contractor, or do you tell them (before you perform any work) that you feel they should hire you as an employee and you plan on filing an SS-8, Determination of Employee Work Status, if they don't? I'm willing to bet a little money that the answer to that is "no" because you realize they'll just go to the next guy.
This is CABL.com posting #163572. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQIq
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime pay on piece work by Trey9007
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Overtime pay on piece work Trey9007 3/18/2006 9:14:00 AM