Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What do you think about Bush's port security??

1. The transaction is private, P&O is being bought out as a private entity. No American government involvement except regulatory.
2. DPW is a corporation, not a government agency. Its capital is held by the Dubai government-backed Dubai Ports, Customs and Free Zone Authority but its management is international and not simply “Arab”. It is, in short, a state-owned firm run like a private corporation.
3. The US ports “coming under control” of DPW with the P&O acquisition are private assets (management leases of port assets with local authorities).
4. The control of security will remain with US Gov authorities and Port staffing will be American (obviously).
5. DPW / P&O is not the sole owner of the all ports in question. NY/NJ is only 50 percent owned in a joint-venture; Miami is a joint-venture as well.
6. Despite much loose guilt by association talk, no UAE or Dubai governmental involvement has ever been shown with respect to al-Qaeda/anti-Western activities. Certainly all kinds of funny money has passed through banks in Dubai, the same kinds of illogical, loosey-goosey guilt by association ‘facts’ can be asserted about London and Geneva, and in terms of 9-11, Germany, not Dubai or UAE was the site of planning. So scratch them off the list, too. In reality, UAE has been pro-Western and helpful in taking steps to combat radical groups.
7. If we're going to assume that the UAE was tied to the terrorists because they lived there and banked there, then your own United States of America were tied to them as well because they lived and banked right here on our own soil for years.
8. EVERYTHING dealing with the Middle East is about oil. Not just Bush, but Clinton (read my post above and click the link), Bush before him, Reagan, Carter...down the line. By the way, do you realize that Jimmy Carter of all people said this deal should go through? Don't just listen to the talking points. You have to dig through all of the media BS and find the information on your own. At first, I was like everybody else and threw up the big red flag. The more I read, though, the more comfortable I get.
This is CABL.com posting #162217. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQmz
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: What do you think about Bush's port security?? Wife of a cable guy 2/24/2006 11:44:00 AM