Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

Well Trey.......if a person wants to be considered a "contractor", he/she should realize that they now will be paid every 30-120 days, because invoicing in the business is net 30, but it can come up to 120 days later or more. A contractor in the sense you are describing, who schedules his own work, is completely on his own etc. Also must realize that he is on his own to collect his money....back to square one. It is is actually more in a persons benefit get paid weekly. Boy do I wish I could walk into a meeting to start a new project as a prime and make the demands you are proposing. I would definitely not have any work at all. I am not being facetious here, this is how it works when you are a prime. If every sub-contractor decided that they want to do all of the stuff you wrote, and I said OK they would go broke. If you think they have it rough, try fronting millions of dollars to provide, payroll weekly, offices, support staff, insurance, dispatchers, accountants, workers compensation for subs???? Consider all of these expenses and a thousand others I can think of but don't have time to list. You have no idea what you are asking. Yes, I defiantly sympathize with having to pay fuel, car insurance, tools etc. But, if you were going to any type of job, you would still have to get there...commute......that takes gas. You have to have a reliable vehicle to get there and the law insists you have auto insurance as well. The fact that they get a support staff to help them is worth its weight in gold. Go out there and try to install without everything we provide. You will make even less than you do now with all your new prime/sub contractor monetary obligations. Most people cant afford that. Can you? I cant.....and I do care for how people feel, so I would be a better person for letting them know what really goes on behind the closed conference room doors. Most people I know would change there minds very fast when weighing the risks of taking on that much responsibility financially. The sub surely gets a better deal working the way it is. They also are not being held at gunpoint and forced to work with us. If they like the company, etc. they will want to stay, if they don't they are free to go seek work elsewhere in the manner you suggested. They will be sorry they made that mistake when they find out what it cost to be a prime contractor. No they would no be disciplined for asking, no I wont flag them, I would just tell them what to expect matter of factually and professionally. They can decide for themselves after that. I don't own the company, nor do I interact with everyone on a day to day basis anymore. I learn how you all feel by reading your posts here, and I take everything into considerization from your points of veiw. I always keep it real, and expect the same. If I answered you any other way...I would be a liar and a cheat. To take on the status of contractor requires a lot of sacrifice,and you have to be able to carry everyone until you get another payment in 60 days. Thats real Trey...you cant twist my words on this because it is fact! I hope that helps you understand where I am coming from, I do understand your frustrations, but the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence my dear, and the hours are longer.
This is CABL.com posting #161989. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQiT
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by Trey9007
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Trey9007 2/21/2006 1:49:00 AM