Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

I going to take you up on your offer to call you out. Its seems that the name calling has ended and cooler heads have now prevailed. One of the good things about the cable bar and the internet, is that it allows a worker bee like me to have dialog with a suit such as yourself. And because there is nothing at stake we can feel free to speak frankly. Because if a worker bee were to ask these questions to most suits, he would probably be flagged as a soon to be trouble maker. Well heres my question to you.

You say you are a GM in the cable business. I think I have heard you say you have contractors working for you doing cable installs. So, I assume the installers report to work everyday, pick up EQ and work orders. I assume these work orders are scheduled as AM or PM jobs, and techs are to work 6 days a week. I also assume the techs are required to touch base with the office dispatch personnel from time to time, for whatever reasons. If all this is not true, humor me for a second and lets just say that it is.

Lets say one of the techs has been told by his brother who is lawyer, that he and his co-workers are being mis-classified as contractors and that the company is cheating the workers and the government out of money and benefits. And informs them if they were really being treated as contractors they would have alot more control of how and when they work. The tech shares this information with the other techs. They arent to happy about this. So they ask the tech that is most respected by them and managers to talk to the managers about this.

Now this tech comes in your office and presents you with this information along with some documents the techs brother gives him. You show this info to the company attorney and he confirms what the workers are saying is true. You request to meet with the respected tech.

In the meeting the tech informs you that the techs like working with the company. They like the family atmosphere. But they want to rectify this situation. Their suggestion on rectifying the situation is this. They no longer want their installs scheduled, contractors are supposed to have full control of how they perform their work. Since they would have full control they no longer have the need for the company's dispatchers and a few other things the company provides. They will now do those things themselves, as contractors should. They also want to be payed 3 days after they invoice their work. They have now learned that it is not a common practice for a contractor to be paid 2,3, or 4 weeks after they have completed work. You cant pay the plumber 3 weeks after he fixes a leak in the pipes. They feel 3 days is sufficient where you can QC the job, and check that paper work is correct. And with all the added responsibiltys they will now be taking on, they fell a bump from $30 an install to $50 an install is warranted.

What would be your response.
This is CABL.com posting #161753. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQe5
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by oldschoolgal
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV oldschoolgal 2/20/2006 1:29:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV legends 2/17/2006 9:46:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV TDD1 2/17/2006 7:53:00 PM