Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

Well I must agree with you about how rosy things are when its a family/team atmosphere. When things are this way chances are the workers would not be considering a union. A contract would not be needed because in this case the word of the company would be just as good.

Either way theres some sort of agreement that holds things together. In the family atmosphere its the word of the employer. In union/company atmosphere its the signatures on the contract. In this part of the industry, there is nothing.

You do something that gets to me a little. You seem to use things that happen the least to support your argument. Example, you always mention how good you treat your subordinates. Although you may treat your guys good, this is not the norm in this business. You constantly mention striking workers.How often do you hear of strikes. Im going to look for factual info on this, but I think that at least 95% of union contracts are bargained without a strike. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of contracts that are bargained every year, very few of them involve striking workers.

Is there a better way, yes. If all companies treated employees fairly and made some kind of compromise where bottom line doesnt totally out-weigh the importance of treating workers like human beings. But how likely is that. Theres always going to be people who want to take advantage of workers. Everyone has all these negative things to say about illegal immigrants coming over here. No one stops to ask why they are coming. They are coming because our fellow Americans are jumping at the chance to take advantage of these people. But no one seems to have a problem with that.

The evidence is out here that workers need a way to level the field. But lets just focus on our little neck of the woods. 1. Installer pay going down. 2. Installer responsibity goes up. 3. Mis-classification of workers as contractors in order to avoid labor laws. 4. HSPs threats to give all work to contractor if workers exercise their rights to organize. 5. Installers required to pay for certifications that does nothing to help keep pay from falling 6. MSOs Satellite platform providers not caring when installers don't get paid. 7. Bogus charge backs.

You get my point. Now, does this sound like that level family/team atmosphere you speak of. I think not. But it sure as hell sounds like the cabl/sat industry. Wouldnt you agree?
This is CABL.com posting #161719. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQex
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by oldschoolgal
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV newcatv 2/17/2006 7:34:00 AM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV oldschoolgal 2/16/2006 9:53:00 PM