Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

I never said only union contracts do this....here is what I mean about the issues of communication:

When someone is presented with an ultimatum of any kind, it breaks trust, when someone does not trust another he/she will find it difficult to communicate with that party. This is as true in an independents office as it is in a union shop. Unions have the aura of a threat to them, they are designed to bring in change and are favored by the employee as a weapon or tool to back the man in a corner without compromise, they are rarely formed by people who are happy in their career of choice. The suits know, that they have to be very careful not to deviate from whatever agreement was made for fear of a lawsuit . Therefore, they (suits) are unable to communicate person to person. In order to make changes to benefit the workers, the employer and employee/1099 must consult the union, attorneys, dot I's, cross T's...etc etc. How can anyone communicate in the true sense when they are no longer allowed to be candid with one another without worrying about the ramifications of the conversation.

Example: Trey's scheduled to work Tuesday through Saturday. Treys friends call him and say "We are going to Vegas this weekend, and we want you to go, but you have to take 3 days off. but Trey cant because in order to get the time off he would have had to ask a couple of week ago in writting he declines, which effects his mood, which effects his work, which earns him the lable of a hack, and his employer never sees it coming, because it was never communicated to him, because there was no point in trying, because of the contract. Now this may only occur until after several incidents similar to this, but eventually when the contract you asked for starts backfiring on you, you will resent the employer even more for having supposedly made you turn to a union in the first place.

You will never be able to reverse the psychological effects choosing up sides in business cause in the workplace. Over time doing your best will not be easy, because of the animosity in the air. No one who hates their job that much will be able to give 100% everyday, thats is where they came up with Seniority, Tenure, and similar perks. These rules were created to protect your position, but at what cost? The cost is huge.

Look at The State of California's Teachers Union. California Schools are one of the worst in the country. Our test scores are among the lowest in the country, and many kids graduate illiterate!!! No one wants to be a teacher here, because the pay is low, tenure has kept a lot of teachers including some who have done some very questionable things jobs. I originally wanted to be a teacher. I put myself through through college graduated a social science major, and did my time as a intern, and taught my own class. Public School Teachers are union, yet, they have to pay for their own supplies . They are union, yet their funds are constantly being cut, and they never seem to be very happy about the contracts they have, yet they continue working as teachers because they know nothing else and it is very hard to get fired....so its kinda of a free ride after a while, except for the spending their own money thing. But they brought that on their selves when the contract backfired. Just like poor Treys Vegas trip.

No, I do not think all Teachers are bad, nor are all unions bad, it is that without the communication all that is left is speculations. And when people are forced to speculate, it almost never turns out to be he truth about whats really going on . Just as I speculate about you, and you about me, but we really dont know each other at all, so neither of us can be 100% sure of the others motives so we speculate in posts. Lack of communication is also the result of:

Having to be Politically Correct about everything in the world, ever
wonder if people really are offended if you know they celebrate Christmas, yet you are obligated to wish them Happy Holidays instead. That has nothing to do with a union, but is a gray area that was created by lack of communication. It is the hostility, fear, and, resentment caused by extreme measures that makes a uncomfortable environment for everyone.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies things.
This is CABL.com posting #161689. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQd3
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by Trey9007
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Trey9007 2/16/2006 4:46:00 PM