Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

The reason I couldn't get the choice vacations was because the selection process went by seniority, not because of the employer.

Let me ask you, why do feel the lines of communication are closed if you work under a contract. Just about everybody here works under a contract. I believe I remember you saying you have contract workers also. But you seem to feel that ONLY union bargained contracts close the lines of communication, why?

I think you feel this way because union contracts are real. Unions enforce every letter of the contract. As they should. Remember, the contract is the reason unions strike. How stupid would it look if the union bargaining team asks the membership's permission to call a strike to get a new contract, then when we get the contract not enforce it. What the hell would the workers been striking for??

Most of our contracts are meaning less because as individuals we have no real way of holding the other party to the contract.

Many times union contracts set up provisions where committees staffed by both the union and the company are formed. Safety committees, work place of the future committees, etc... Not only are these committees formed but the contract requires them to meet a specific amount of times a year. And usually the contract calls for these committees to be staffed by both very high level managers and 1st levels. And on the side of the union you have workers from the bargaining unit. I don't know about you, but with out a contract I don't see high level managers making time to meet with workers. Unless its for a dog and pony show.

But please tell me why you feel the communication lines get cut when you work under a contract. And tell me, do you feel its only union contracts that do this.
This is CABL.com posting #161649. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQdp
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by oldschoolgal
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV oldschoolgal 2/16/2006 12:40:00 PM