Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

To be completely honist with you I am a HSP tech and you have a few problems when consitering a union. In some states a union is nothing.

What I mean by this is for instance UTAH... Is a right to work state. You have a choice join the union or don't. If you dont you still get union benefits and wages. California if you work for a company thats pro union you have to join that union otherwise you cant work for that company.

Now most of my experience comes from utah where unions really dont matter. I have worked in the aviation industry for awhile as well. Now you may argue that its a different industry, but in some ways its the same. A union is a union. Its there to help protect you. With that being said the industry concept doesnt matter.

Where the concept matters is if the union will treat you fairly. What I mean by that is ok UTAH a ramp agent in a union will make 7.50 an hour and have health care, where you go with a ramp agent outside a union making 8.25 with healthcare. So it really depends. I mean if you get onto the airlines yes you make better money but thats beacuse theres less overhead by making one company do everything instead of paying overhead for 2-3 companies that follow. But you dont get as great expansion. But we are talking about the bottom line base pay. In this case 7.50 an hour. Where as a tech maybe 35/15.

So you have to be careful gotta know the state laws and how a union if it does have any affect on you at all. Utah might as well not even consiter a union. But if the ompany is in another state thats the only way it will bring a positive inpact.

So am I for or against a union? Depends... Will I truely benefit? Becides right now my company is offering bonuses of every type like every month or 2 tring to keep techs and try not to discourage them from quitting.
This is CABL.com posting #161646. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQdm
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by uboatcmdr
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV uboatcmdr 2/15/2006 6:25:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Trey9007 2/15/2006 5:45:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Trey9007 2/15/2006 5:33:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Gwester843 2/15/2006 5:23:00 PM