Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey....what is your real name????

OK...now we are getting somewhere. You are expressing your real opinion, not copying things from something you read somewhere. Of coarse it is important to be able to communicate to the suits. Not long ago, I posted about the Electrician exams that must be passed in California in order to work under a contractor with a C-10 or Electrical Contracting License. Well my Husband, is one of you guys, he works 12-14 hours or more a day, drives all over heck and half of Georgia, and takes a lot of pride in his workmanship. He is a "Electrician" under a General Contractor with a C-10. Well, he had to take and pass his test to maintain his position, otherwise they would have no choice but to keep him on low voltage jobs. Well, he works so many hours he had very little time to study, and he was worried. The day came to take the test, and he passed! I was so proud, he has something I don't even have, he has bragging rights, and is a card carrying Journeyman Electrician.. He came home after work, and I asked him if he mentioned it to his Boss. He said, he was not sure who to talk to or what to say because everyone who passed was to receive a large raise. I said to him, why don't you let me fax a copy of your card to the office with a note to the owner FYI, and see if that breaks the ice and so you can discuss the raise. The next morning he is at the shop picking up work orders and material Recs and the owner is there. He put his arm around my husband and said congratulations, gave him the raise, then a week or so later gave him an awesome new 2006 company work truck. All of that just because he was able to open communication with the suits. The truth really truly is that the suits are not all bad people. My husband and I talk about this all the time. Suits think a little differently, we want to know facts. You guys think about the process of what is going on in the project, we think in yes and no short factual type answers, because the client doesn't want to hear how everything came about or what went wrong, they just want to know if it is done or not, and we are all worried about budgets. Some times this comes off as abrasive and as if we have no feelings. I catch myself doing it all the time. I will ask a guy where he is at on the project and he will give a step by step run down, and I will want only answers and nothing else, especially when things are getting tight. We are the middle men, we stand between you guys and the clients and it is really hard sometimes to keep everyone happy, but I try. It makes me really think a lot, when I read about or witness the fact that you guys believe we are out to get you. We want longterm happy crews, and clients. We try to choose people that fit that, but let me tell you, it is not easy these days. Unions, can often times isolate you guys even more. Your Boss can not exercise free speech with you and make his own rules or customize his business to fit his and his employees needs if a union steward is threatening him. There is nothing worse than being forced to do something you don't agree with or that is against your moral makeup. When I was in the union, it made me very upset when I was working, and some union guy would tap my shoulder and say take a break right now, I would say, I will when I am done with this task, and he would say, no your break is now. Needless to say, I did not enjoy my 10 minuet punch in and out brakes at all. Lets not make it get ridged like that, no one wins. As far as pay, I think private contractors do what they can to make things fair and truly want happy people working for them. Unfortunately the crooked ones are what is tearing us all apart. That is what is missing, that was how things were in the good old days. The times when your boss put jeans on and came out to help when things were tough and bought you a beer and dinner at the end of the day in appreciation. Now we cant, because you all are suspicious that we have an ulterior motive rather than good intentions. I know this long but, man, you all know I feel really strong about this. I miss that. I miss showing up at the job site with the customer, looking at your work, talking about whats going on while breaking bread with everyone. We called it Round Table Discussions. It usually only took a few minuets to clear everything up, by talking to each other, and the rest was a meal shared among comrades in recognitions of hard work and a job well done. There is nothing more valuable than a loyal and hard working team that knows they are appreciated and can talk about it to their boss when they feel otherwise. Conversation when done tactfully is a win win situation. Now I know I was not tactful when I wrote to Trey, but I felt no choice but to be abrasive and call him out, something does not sound right there don't you agree? He wont even leave his name, I would respect him if he did. Plus I have a very weird sense of humor which is hard understand in writing but hilarious in person. I am sorry, but I do love to laugh, even at crude cartoons like South Park. It takes my mind off stressful times. You will never see me single anyone out unless I feel their intentions are not honorable, then watch out. And that is how I feel about Trey's postings. Thanks for reading, and thanks for opening up, maybe we could all do that together and then a union will not be necessary.

Take Care,
Gal
This is CABL.com posting #158544. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPpk
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey....what is your real name???? by oldschooldbstech
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Trey....what is your real name???? Trey9007 12/30/2005 2:27:00 AM
Re: Trey....what is your real name???? DZW! 12/29/2005 7:24:00 PM