Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: HSP's Taking To Much P.S.

Ptap, I take you feel you would gain OH because you would be asked to sign a contract like the one posted. Thats incorrect. That contract is between CWA and SBC. And data about SBC was used to determine what a fair contract would be. Your employees would bargain with you, which means a different set of data would be used to determine what is fair. But the point is that the success and well being of the company is also reflected in the wages and benefits the employees for that company recieve.

As far as organizing contractors, its tricky. Anti-trust laws and all. Its tricky but it can, and has been done. But if they did terminate contract you would hope that we had the support of the vast majority of workers. As contractors there would be nothing we could do except boycott that MSO. No one work. If an employer did this it would be grounds for NLRB charge, but as contractors we wouldn't have that protection. When organizing employees you are looking to get 60% or more of the workers to swing your way, for contractors to be successful Im thinking it would take close to 85% because the only tool contractors have is solidarity. We would have no laws on our side, like employees do.It would just be the pure determination of wanting better working conditions.

You say you were approached 20 years ago to organize and didn't, fine. But don't forget we are talking about cable. 20 years ago were the good ol days. Now, as you can see by the many post, the days aren't so good.

As far as you comment about revenue and profits, 228 mil in a quarter ain't bad in my book. Remember, as an employee I am an expense. Now we just need to find out if I'm getting my fair share of the money allocated for expenses. Thats where the need for collective bargaining comes in.

I made a statement in one of my post about how in my experience I could tell installers are not being treated fairly, let me expand on that. If you look in that contract you see that DSL techs are in there making I think 1200/ week. Well, when that job tittle first came about they weren't in the union, and were paid about 13/hr. They were put in different work locations away from the union techs. Eventually those guys signed cards, an election was held and they were in the union. During bargaining it was discovered the company had more than enough resources to pay those guys a better wage and still stay healthy financially.

The same thing with Comcast. They pay their non-union techs almost 50% less that their union techs. Collective bargaining showed that they could afford it.

All this said, if you want to join, sign a card, if not, don't sign. Whatever floats your boat. I really have no problem with people who do not wish join. My only problem is all the mis-information put out here, and the anger that comes when it is corrected. I can remember when they guy posted that union members with seniority are the boss of less senior people. Now thats 100% false, but when I pointed that out I got accused of insulting him and giving my opinion on unions. All I did was correct false information.
This is CABL.com posting #158118. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPis
Posted in reply to: Re: HSP's Taking To Much P.S. by Pressure Tap
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: HSP's Taking To Much P.S. Trey9007 12/23/2005 5:44:00 PM