Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Feelings on Union

Cut me some slack sumahit, I have alot things thrown my way and I may have missed those 2 questions you asked. Heres my answers.

Before I start let me remind you that the union is not a 3rd party. The union is the workers. NO policy in the world will rid any industry of slackers. The best you can dois try to limit the amount. Also, it is not the job of the union to get rid of slackers, it is the company. Making sure an employee does not slack is the job of a manager. Am I right? Unions main point at the bargaining table is that their members are good workers. At the bargaining table the union will the company's own data on attendance, productivity and other things to make their point. Unions dont promote slacking and neither does the company but it stills exist, its human nature. How many times do yo go to mickey D's and 4 workers working hard and 3 just kind of loafing it, it happens. But unions constantly reminds their members of the negative effects these things will have when it times to bargain a new contract. But the bottom line is that its the job of manager to make sure his workers are not slacking, not the union. Unions dont want managers doing the jobs of their members and managers dont want their employees doing the job of a manager.

As far as getting paid.... It really depends on how big the membership wants to attack this. When bargaining a contract this issue would be covered in the contract. Now we all have contracts saying when and how much we should be paid and people still break the contract. But if we have a union we will have lawyers on hand to attack this. Union contracts generally have grievance and arbitration process. Anytime any article of the contract is violated the union can file grievance and if it is not settled with the company it goes to arbitration. The union represents you on this the whole time. The better contract language the better you results will be. If the members are willing to strike over this language it would really send a loud message to the companies that this is topic the members want really good language on. But the main key is that we have a union to enforce the contract. Doing this as individuals is expensive and most times not worth it. Bt as a union we would have legal representation. If you really think about the dues are worth it for this service alone.
This is CABL.com posting #156699. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOVz
Posted in reply to: Re: Feelings on Union by sumahit
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Feelings on Union sumahit 11/29/2005 9:57:00 PM