Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Feelings on Union

Im sorry you feel Im debating you. Im just trying to add more facts on the topic. This topic usually brings out alot of half truths and mis-information. Just like the new lay -off you just mentioned.

Let me explain something to you. If a union had a contract with lear, their contract is with lear only. Your union can only represent you with the company or companies they have a signed contract with. So if lear is the only signatory company on the contract and the employee gets laid -off, theres no where to place that employee. Sure the union can assist , but thats pretty much it. That employee should have explained that to you. The only time unions generally find jobs for laid-off workers is in the construction trades and thats because 99% of the time those workers work under contracts with multiple signatory companies. So if a member is laid off from 1 company, the union has the ability under the contract to find him work. Like I said before, most dont know this. They see how a union works in one situation and think its the same in every situation. Just like I bet most people think that once you vote a union in, you automatically get what other members in other companies get, wrong. This is only true if you vote a union in and you become part of an existing contract. Otherwise each new bargaining unit will bargain their own contract. Its mis-information like these I debate, not your opinion. So please dont think Im looking to sway you, Im not. But I do try to make sure the whole picture is seen. I dont think your story is anti-union. In the story you told the union should not be expected to find that person a job. They only have a contract with lear. Thats a very important fact in regards to your story.

As far as why Im a contractor. I contract because the in-house jobs are crap. Not too many are union jobs. So contracting to me is a good alternative. I dont have, nor do I want subs. So im not looking to be business man of the year or anything. I just want a situation with as less stress as possible.
This is CABL.com posting #156612. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOUa
Posted in reply to: Re: Feelings on Union by sumahit
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Feelings on Union sumahit 11/28/2005 1:34:00 PM