Create your free account now! Sign up

Last messenger wire splice

These were storm drop repairs in New O. Often, the strand broke at the p-hook or nearly so. Service loops at house were sometimes pulled, sometimes not. Wires intact and hanging low.

I think the reasoning wasn't just a 'git er done' but also an access problem. Tree limbs, construction materials, and general trash often made pole access a problem. These folks had entire houses worth of goods piled up on the lawns and street easements.

The choice sometimes came down to cutting cable and wrecking out so cable wasn't hanging low (and these were customers who's systems- sometimes cable, internet as well as telephony all on cable lines- were up and working, just a low, droopy cable) or trying to splice the strand wire.

That's the situation. No one was pressing for strand repair if the drop could be replaced. They did discourage wreck outs. So, it came down to what it always does- expediency verses a less than optimal outcome.

I am not justifying anything, I don't know enough to have a solid opinion. I read all the suggestions and reasoning and appreciate the lessons. I value my reputation and know that now is the time to build a good one, while I am still as new as I am.
This is CABL.com posting #153698. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mN9a
Posted in reply to: More messenger splicing by marplots
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Last messenger wire splice cabledog 10/6/2005 2:34:00 PM