Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Yes Trainer Jake get rid of OSHA

I don't know where you get those "facts" but that's complete BS. Today we have about 5500 workforce fatalities each year in the U.S. total. In the years prior to 1970 when OSHA was created it was over 10,000. That's with roughly double the number of workers today. Do the math. These numbers aren't something pulled out of my ass, they can be found on the Bureau of Labor Statistics site at bls.gov. It's common sense even. How many people here think the average workplace is no safer now than it was 35 years ago?

Your economic argument makes no sense either. That is like saying we don't need police because if someone kills you the law says you can sue them for wrongful death (how to sue someone post mortem wasn't explained?) Anyway, by that logic a worker becomes a line item on an accountant's balance sheet. Safety costs X, lawsuits costs Y, so the company should spend just enough on X to minimize the cost of Y. Then it becomes how many deaths are acceptable to the bottom line on any given project. That's the way it used to be in 1940. Do we really want to go backwards?

I'm glad you have a "strong conviction that safety practices are paramount to a business’s success." Congratulations and kudos to you. Other people aren't always that smart. From time to time, believe it or not, some tend to focus on short term profit while neglecting the long term effects of that course of action. Skimping on safety should not be a business decision left to a CEO or accountant.
This is CABL.com posting #147476. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mMwO
Posted in reply to: Yes Trainer Jake get rid of OSHA by Steve Harvey
There are 2 replies to this message
Facts came from the National Safety Council Steve Harvey 6/6/2005 8:51:00 PM
Re: Yes Trainer Jake get rid of OSHA theloner1950 6/6/2005 10:29:00 AM