Create your free account now! Sign up

would you hook a pole for $5.00?

I'm not the oldest cable dawg, I haven't had the honor to meet him.
But after 10 years, I'm not some apprenticing bitch. When the local install contractor's "super tech" was in 8th grade the first time I strapped on a pair of hooks, I'm a little insulted at being showed how to take a butt-ladder off my own truck.

How many of us have been handed a sheet with 30 discos on it and told that "today is a disco day". Hey, I can pull weight. I can be a sled dog. Good days and bad days, or the same s*** on a different day. I've been stopped by police for working past 10 pm and in weather when it was so bad "that only somebody up to no good would be out in weather like this" If I had to define myself, I'd have to say I can work hard. But enough about myself.

And I'm not going to "earn my oats" everytime somebody else comes around and buys the mso again, then everyone changes the name on their trucks and t-shirts. Don't tell me to do the s*** work and hope that it gets better. I'm here to make money, not to pledge a fraternity

But money is money. So what kind of money are we talking about.

You'd actualy go out in the winter to hook a pole and disconnect a service for five dollars? Do it with a smile?

A truck roll in any other service industry is at least 50 bucks, and that's to ring the door bell. Comcast charges 20 dollars just for a change of service.

I understand, the cable company doesn't make any money when they shut somebody off, only when they generate a service. But no matter how you slice it, climbing a pole is a skill. I've done it 30 times a day for construction, (but then the money was a lot better for that) Its worth more than what they pay.

I live in a populated area and no installer around here makes more than 1200 a week and that's in 6 days. You're right, most are green, but that's because the real talent left after Comcast slashed their prices. Some of the guys who taught me are suffering to stay on because after 30 years its all they know. You're telling me they don't know what's going on?
This is CABL.com posting #140261. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKEr
Posted in reply to: Re: install pay is slave labor by Waiting out the Storm
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: (how about for $2.25?) matthewj888 1/11/2005 3:50:00 AM
Re: would you hook a pole for $5.00? justmy2cents 1/8/2005 12:26:00 PM
Re: would you hook a pole for $5.00? danimal 1/6/2005 3:36:00 PM