Create your free account now! Sign up

Sweep with Jerrold equip, roll off problems

Sorry this is long, but we are going to a "true" sweep using a sweep generator. For a couple of years now we will just take a reference at the launch amp and be on our way. Well if anyone has any experience with the old Antec ONI/launch amp combination, you might be able to help me. Our ONI, FWD/REV laser sits on the ground then goes up the pole to what we call a launch amp and it feeds our entire cascade etc. My problem I am having with is with our high end, which is channel 116. The levels we run in our 5 amp cascades are 37.0 on 116, 44.0 on 70, and 37.0 on 2. Now just to let you know we do not run fiber to node through our entire town. We have OTN's, mini headends, through our town 4 total. All lasers for the most part are on the end of their lifespan, atleast 6-7 years old now. Ok my problem is leaving the launch amp I will leave with 37db on 116. The second amp will read only 36db on 116. The 3rd will read 35db. You get the picture guys. By the time I get to the 6th in cascade I can only get 30db. Guess where all the digital calls come from. What are you guys seeing for your high end levels out of your amps in your systems, especially 5th in cascade. Our plant is great no spliecs, that kind of thing. I have chased this kind of thing before, and have won and lost battles finding a db here and there kind of a thing. I do not want to have to rip out every single pin connector and split between every amp to gain a db or so but if that is what I have to do I might, but I thought I would ask what you have seen in these amps. This is pretty common across my town. I have even gone as far as ripping out one of the older style mini bridger housings with the tan colored inserts, and replaced with the newer red insert housings, and made a difference. All that trouble for a few db. How ridiculous can this get? We use the 750 DH modules, and of course we have all the newer ones also, but for standing waves sake, I kept all the same style modules in line, and even switched every module and pads and eq's of course. In a couple of months we are going to tie in new fiber throughout our town with new harmonic lasers and go laser to node which will be a tremendous relief for us. I think we will use the SG 2000, or the newer version for our voice over ip upgrade next year. My fellow line techs think this laser/new node upgrade will fix everything. I disagree heavily. We might leave the node with a few more db of course, but we are still going to have roll off so I personally believe if I leave my first amp with 37db, I should end at my 5th amp in cascade with 37db. After the second amp in cascade it goes underground from there on, and I am about to tdr every span of cable to see where this roll of is coming from. Our splits are from Jerrold, and we use Regal taps for our equipment. I have swept more than enough to know what I am doing, but I figured I would ask you Jerrold, or now Motorola guys what you have seen. I will say this out of the about 170 nodes we have, 13 have SA II equipment, and I can get channel 116 to run great all the way through, almost too good at times. I wish my company would just spend the extra money and make all of our equipment the same. Guess standing waves will be fun to deal with again. Again I apologize for the long post, but I had to get all the info out for ya to understand what I have to deal with.
This is CABL.com posting #139272. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKou
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Sweep with Jerrold equip, roll off problems cableho 12/12/2004 5:25:00 PM
Re: Sweep with Jerrold equip, roll off problems JohnBoy 12/4/2004 10:33:00 PM