Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Data Transfer Over Power Lines--Soap Box again

Hay Zoots,

Very interesting points, I have a few questions that might be of intrest. First, from the way the articles read, it seems to me that they are planning to come up with some sort of device that anyone can use, there by eliminating the need for installs. For example, the way a tap filters out the ac before the drop is installed. It seems that it would be quite easy to come up with something, that any customer could plug in themselves. After all most taps aren't much bigger then a god sized power supply.

Another question has to do with industry, for example, if a factory using 3phase circuits, wanted to use this service, could they possibly have a problem due to the 3rd phase. Single phase is simple due to the fact that power enters through one hot leg, and exits via the neutral, where as three phase, the power enters on two of the three legs, and exits via the third leg. It varies which leg the power exits on, according to the sign wave, a return neutral is not needed. I,m wondering if the signal entering on the high side of the sign wave of one leg, might be affected by power exiting on the low side of the sign wave on the same line. Could it possibly cause the lines to polarize the data stream, causing a stoppage of the data transfer.

Also what about the power distribution systems themselves? Is it possible that some of the power regulating equipment which is installed in sub-stations, to regulate the voltage, may also interfere with the data stream.

I have a few more, but I think only time can answer those.

Good Luck To All
This is CABL.com posting #128560. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mHBI
Posted in reply to: Re: Data Transfer Over Power Lines--Soap Box again by Zoots Alures
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Data Transfer Over Power Lines--Soap Box again Zoots Alures 3/18/2004 4:35:00 AM