Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Data Transfer Over Power Lines--Soap Box again

The concept of BDL has been around for some time. Just like HSD it took some time to generate the feasibility to launch the service, recover investment, then to operate proficiently. What’s pretty cool in the deliverance of BDL is besides being (Obviously) wired into every location that has a light bulb but the main discernable and distinguishable way that BDL goes about delivering its signals. The primary difference which aren’t covered in both of the articles is that the power distribution’s wave form is ”Square Wave” vs. broadband’s “Sine wave” signature. Additionally, the two articles also differ between pumping total digital QAM signals vs. Analogue vertical bandwidth e.g., 50MHz to 862MHz et al. The “Whirlpool.net” article relates its service to max out at 10MPS. That’s EtherNet or maybe even GiGE territory vs. 128 or 256 QUAM which may present a better or robust service delivery. I digress….I’m sorry. Either way, this type of competition is absolutely terrific for the consumer. It will force all of the current players to do it better, do it faster, and do it less expensive. Now that’s a grand-slam.

Obviously, there are major safety and organized labor issues that are inherent in delivering broadband services through the power lines. First, you’ve got certification issues for the deployment and implementation of broadband over the power line. Considering that most power companies deliver 120VAC to a typical residential outlet there must be some type of interdicting unit or NIU (Network Interface Unit) to split out the signal and terminate the voltage to make it usable. It is at this particular juncture, not to forget the OSP portion too that people will needed to be trained and certified prior to being allowed to work in that area.

Last week I had read that Chairman Powel went to southern Virginia (Maybe the Richmond area) to witness the first deliverance of broadband over power.
(read)
Zoots Alures - Minds are like parachutes. They don't work if they ain't open {Fz}
This is CABL.com posting #128543. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mHBr
Posted in reply to: Re: Data Transfer Over Power Lines---?---> by Corky the Splicer
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Data Transfer Over Power Lines--Soap Box again DAVIDZWURLD1 3/17/2004 9:15:00 PM