Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Question about modem installation

To actually answer your question.
Yes most installs do go smoothly and there will be no need to anything other than plug it in and go.
About 25%-40% of your installs you will run into a problem that you will not be able to fix that you should be able to fix. Unless you know a little about networking and computer repairs you will be behind the cure. This means you will lose some easy money. Why because I am going to go out there after you a charge for the modem installation after renewing an I.P. address, Turning a fire wall off, replacing that missing file you could not find when it is really sitting in plain view on the hard drive already. All this will come with experience maybe. The industry does not seem to share information well.
The real challenge for modem techs is the variety of equipment that you are working on. Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP, Mac OS9 and OS10. Did I leave any thing out. Linux if you are a geek but they usually won't let you touch their computer. You do not need to be an expert in all of these to be efficient but you should be in at least two. Many people are cutting their teeth in the IT through the Telecommunications industry and then bailing as soon as they have a couple of years experience. It looks good on a resume. WAN Node technician. Experience with TCP/IP RF Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP, Mac OS9 and OS10 client education/support and the list goes on and on and on.
If you want to learn it and you have some willing to teach you I say go for it.

Now to complain about the other guys response to your question. The reason the rates are dropping so low is because you are taking contracts at lower rates. So you can complain about hacks all day long but that is not it. I am just complaining about people with less than average intelligence taking modem contracts at 25-35 per install. I personally charge no less than $50.00 and that would include the outlet. Consequently I am rapidly moving away from the cable industry. If you want an expert I say pay for it. Cable companies do not want experts they want numbers, dollar numbers.

> I am interested in more info regarding modem installation. I have done a very few which were just a piece of cake, that is they were pretty much plug 'n play but the critical thing I wanna know is just how far into a machine is a contract installer expected to go? I have no problem with installing cards or adapters it's the software or operating system files that I get skittish about. I observed an installer hooking up RoadRunner to a machine and the Windows 98 system was apparently missing files that were needed for the modem to work properly. At what point is an installer expected to concede and walk away?
> Like I say, I've done a couple Powerlink installs (Adelphia) but the majority of the work in Central Fl is Time Warner.
> Any exp. or info would be appreciated
This is CABL.com posting #94769. Tiny Link: cabl.co/myOH
Posted in reply to: Question about modem installation by cableupgrade
There are 0 replies to this message