Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: questions about unions

Greetings Ishmael,

Gotta hand it to you, here, Ishmael.  I wasn't  sure where your post was going mid-way through, but you wrapped it up well.  I have been (to say the least) very vocal in my opposition to any type of union in the past.  I heard people wanting someone to create work when there was none to be had.  As you stated, so well, when times are bad...times are bad!  You have mentioned some points worth saying again.  And those words spoke of basic responsibility, something I hope we all can relate to, an obligation that we owe to each other and the industry.  I have been over and over the pros and cons of an organizaton, or association  that can fortify the strengths that are part of who each one of are....or we surley would not be in this business.  Accumulated direction and professional ambition is what I was hearing you say and it gave me confidence in some decisions I have already made.  Those decisions were to join an association.  I think I have been careful in my association with this group, also.  I want people who want to work, and people who I feel love this industry as I always have.  Pole-line Construction, in particular, C.A.T.V Pole-line Construction is second to none in its ability to create wealth, promote individuals able to supervise themselves accordingly, bring people in from every walk of life, women included, and have some extrordinary results because of the individuals working with and against each other.  We have never been free from the competitve attitudes of 'the best______'  whatever!  I have been doing this most of my life and all my adult life, I have yet to see any other industry where every one thinks, and in his own mind, KNOWS he is the best...I love that about us, to be honest!!!  And there are some out there that make it very difficult to hear them say that!  But  it is certain to do one thing,  either they become the best or they move on.....somewhere.  I won't speculate on where all them system managers come from!!!!   No, No, No I am teasing with that, okay?  I am joking .  But you know  what I am talking about.  We always have had the best out here,  in the past things may have temporarily gotten out of hand.  Not for long though, we have been known to police our own, as well.  And it is with this in mind and your words bringing to focus some of my thoughts that haven't been given flight with words yet, until you said it.  And this is why I have thrown in with T.C.C.T.A.  I see what you are talking about.  I have never really been involved with anything like this before.  When I was seventeen years old I was working in the Maintenance Department of the largest uranium mine in the world,   J.PAUL GETTY URANIUM,  and   UTAH INTERNATIONAL URANIUM out of Shirley Basin, Wyoming,  Union there, but they continued to fire me every forty-five days then re-hire me the following pay period because I was too young to become a member after the forty-five day incubation of their 'mining chicks'  I was a mine chick, because my job was to die first so the rest could make an escape!!!  That is what they told me, jokingly, I think!?!?!  After that I went to work on the Off-Shore Oil-Rigs as an electrician, microwave Tech in the Gulf of Mexico, and the North Sea,  The Union boys out there where all oil company hands and I was a contractor.  You can imagine how well that went, I hated them union *ssh*les, always trying to mess up what I thought was a pretty good thing.  Since then I have been spoiled in this 'draggin the line'  business.  Now, and I have not figured this out, but I sense we are in need of looking after our own, once again, but in a way that will be fortified, effective,...bonafide, if you will(and for any of you that seen 'O' Brother Where Art Thou?')  Yes that might be just the word BONAFIDE  It may be the educated breed we are now dealing with with in the ranks of the MSO's because I don't see that we linesmen have changed that much, but somehting has and it may very well be the caliber of the representatives we are dealing with when  speaking to our customers, the MSO's.  It used to be that they were much and the same as we were. coming from where we were, and maybe had  a good offer, or were ready to plant some roots.  That is definitely NOT the case any longer and I believe if we are able to regroup, organize and support each other we will be better able to defend and confront deception and trickery, where-ever it may be coming from.  There were a few other things that happened and  went on this past couple of years that I feel is our responsibility to each other and as of now no one has stepped up to the plate.  A couple of them being un-necessary deaths...(let me rephrase that, please.  I am not in charge of who lives and/or dies, I am not assuming the deaths were un-necessary- there has to be a good reason good people pass on.  I am not priveledged with that info)  Jeremiah Olson is one man that will not leave my concience for whatever reason.  But, I hope situations ike this can be trained and thought right out of existence.  There are many other instances too, not as serious, or permanent as that, but we have areas in the business that have us looking a little foolish in Hind-sight. If for no other reason, we can centralize our efforts and concerns giving a platform to all who need support, ar have support to offer.  A phone line, or E-mail address that might give us the trainers in the corner to pull this fight off, tenth round turn around.  Some may think it is over, the glory days we all have known,  I think not.  I think with the right trainers in our corner we will emerge the champions, once again.  I am talking about 'Champions of the  World!' not our industry, but of every industry,  the way I have always felt about all of us ,  ALL my working life.

Let me stop, now.  This is beginning to looklike a campaign trail, and it is not.  I feel ya' Bro'

I want to give something a fair shot at bringing the pride back to the AMERICAN LINESMEN.  This Trade Association may, or may not be it.  From where I am looking it is definitley the best thing going and we are talking about our wives and children, their futures as well as our own.  If I don't deserve what I am expecting from this that might be right, but my wife and my chidren do..along with the sons and daughters of the people out there that have given the ultimate sacrifice to this industry, the parents of the young men and women who met the day they were born for, while 'draggin the line'

This is what your letter stirred in me, Ishmael.  Thank you. You have helped me to bring into focus alot of what has been on my mind while I have tried finding the answers to some un-settled issues within the greatest industry in the world.  Not even second to the  Oil-field..we are the best!  I believe in what these men and women at The Cable Contractors Trade Association are doing. and until it proves me wrong or some one comes up with a more promising approach to our industry needs I am supporting them.  Every way that I can I am committing my efforts, putting my money where my mouth has been.  Until there is a better idea...we all need to join and support each other in this endeavor.  I am thinking along the reasoning of representation.  That being, if we don't support what we have and what is being offered, we don't have the right to protest what we see as unfair, or unwanted treatment.

Enough!!!  Geez! can SOMEBODY shut me up, already!!!!!

I'm outt'a here. I got to get to work, or I'll be pushin for the UN-employed Trade Association!

Later, Petergunn.                                again, good points mentioned, Ishmael.  Thanks for caring.

Where there are no alternatives, there is no problem...Petergunn Lookstwice-2001.
This is CABL.com posting #88959. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mxiZ
Posted in reply to: Re: questions about unions by ishmael
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: questions about unions singlelash 11/16/2002 2:26:00 AM
Re: questions about unions ishmael 11/11/2002 8:46:00 PM