Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: cable sucks

Zoots, The only foliage I deal with these days is of the common houseplant variety. I also have a bit to do with the RF type.
Your pitch lamenting the high cost of switching devices etc. is certainly true, but the folks who fork out the money are ultimatley your customers. I believe that if the ROI is not acceptable, tha plant will not get upgraded or built unless mandated by franchise requirerments.The only MSO's that have ever not made a decent margin have been bought by those who know how to turn the numbers.
You are correct about vendors beating at your door. It's unfortunate but it is what it is. At least you understand the reality of the situation. Can't hold it against you. Anyone with a handle from a Zappa tune is OK in my book.
He also wrote.... "I'm about to get upset from watching my TV........ Theres no way to delay that trouble coming every day". Enjoy your peaches while you can.

>
> > > Very interesting reply Mr.Alures.Is your handle a reference to the old Zappa title?
>
> YOU ARE CORRECT ABOUT THE TITLE....NOW LET ME POSE ONE FOR YOU MR. PLANTMAN… AND WHAT TYPE OF FOLIAGE ARE YOU REPRESENTING?
>
>
> The only comment I have time for right now is this... The MSO's taking advantage of market conditions by cutting prices to contractors is not right.
>
> IN MY HUMBLE OPINION WE HAVE TO LOOK ACROSS ALL LINES OF BUSINESS TO ENSURE THAT WHAT WE’RE DOING AS WELL AS HOW WE’RE DOING IT MAKES GOOD BUSINESS SENSE. UNFORTUNATELY FOR THE LABOR WORLD THESE PAST SIX OR SO MONTHS (MAYBE LONGER) THAT THE MARKET CLEARLY SUPPORTED THE OPPORTUNITY FOR MSO’S TO CUT THEIR LABOR RATES (ONCE AGAIN) DUE TO THE FLOOD OF LABOR RESOURCES AVAILABLE. EXAMPLE: EARLY THIS YEAR IT WOULD COST US ABOUT $ 78K PER UG MILE (COMPOSITE LABOR AND MATERIALS) TO COMPLETE. DUE TO TODAY’S MARKET CONDITIONS WE ARE NOW ABLE TO REDUCE THAT COMBINED RATE TO ABOUT $55K PER MILE. SPREAD THAT OVER 100 MILES A YEAR, SIMPLE MATH! WHEN OUR VENDORS WERE APPROACHED AND COMMUNICATED TO, ABOUT OUR MISSION (WELL IN ADVANCE OF US PULLING THE TRIGGER) TO REDUCE THESE RATES THESE SAME INCUMBANT VENDORS MADE A CHOICE TO EITHER STAY OR MOVE ON. SURE, THE QUALITY WAS THERE AS WAS THE RELATIONSHIPS BUT WHEN YOU HAVE A DOZEN OR SO VENDORS KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR EVERY DAY HAWKING THEIR “QUALITY WAYS” ONE IS COMPELLED TO ENTERTAIN AND SAMPLE THESE WARES. BESIDES, IF YOU DON’T ACT ON THESE OPPORTUNITIES, TYPICALLY, YOUR CORPORATE OFFICIALS WILL WONDER WHY THE HELL AREN’T YOU.
>
>
> When advance services are made available customers are charged for the new services, and in many cases overall rates rise.
>
> HAVE YOU PRICED A 5Es SWITCH AND SUPPORTING SOFTWARE AND SUB-NODE OF LATE? HOW ABOUT THE NEW VOIP GEAR? HOW ABOUT ALL OF THE CMTS GEAR, ROUTERS, POP CO-LOCOS’ ETC. LET ME TELL YOU THAT THE DAYS OF 6-11 YEAR R.O.I’S ARE LONG GONE. WE NOW HAVE TO TURN THESE (ROI’S)AROUND IN 2-5 YEARS …IN SOME CASES. WE ARE INVESTING A TON OF MONEY IN R&D AS AN INDUSTRY. THE FOLKS ON THE BLEEDING EDGE GET THE ROMANTIC OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW THEIR HARD EARNED EFFORTS BUT BEHIND THE SCENES THERE’S A LOT OF SWEAT EQUITY GOING ON. HMMM, WHAT ABOUT THE $2BILLION PER ANNUM IN LOST REVENUE FROM PIRATES? WE HAVE TO TAKE A CHARGE OFF ON THIS AND IT’S NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE TO BE HELD HOSTAGE . SURE WE SPEND BIG DOLLARS ON ANTI-THEFT CAMPAIGNS ET AL., TO INCLUDE ACTIVE/PASSIVE DEVICES TO PREVENT THIS BUT THIS STILL COSTS CAPITAL TO DO SO.
>
>
> The cost of doing business is steadily escalating while prices for doing work are steadily going down.I believe this is the underlying issue causing the problems which seem to be present on all projects across the country such as poor workmanship,fly by night subs and poorly managed Primes.
>
> ONE OF THE FEW REMAINING TOOLS TO COUNTER THESE REDUCED RATES IN CLEARLY IN VOLUME. I NEVER MAKE ANY PROMISES TO ANYONE THAT I CAN’T DELIVER ON! IF WE HAVE TWO OR THREE VENDORS COMPETING IN A SINGLE MARKET AREA, THE ONE WHO CONSISTANTLY PERFORMS THE BEST (QUALITY, FOCUS, AND COMMUNICATIONS) DIRECTLY PROPORTION TO THE BEST RATES WILL GET MY BUSINESS. I DON’T CARE HOW FRIENDLY I AM OR THEY ARE, BUSINESS IS BUSINESS ! IT’S A VERY CRUEL WORLD OUT THERE…..DON’T YA KNOW.
>
> The poor S.O.B's who post these tirades are really just victims of circumstances that are out of their control. Unfortunatley, Burger King is one of the few options available.
>
> ? By the way, what do you do? Have a peach of a day.
>
> THANK YOU, I THINK I’LL EAT A PEACH OR TWO………
>
> > >
> > >
> > >
This is CABL.com posting #87053. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mwOf
Posted in reply to: Re: cable sucks by Zoots Alures
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: cable sucks Zoots Alures 10/20/2002 7:53:00 PM