Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: SprDave - SIR ;-)

Since you brought it up...

I like Dave's site as much as anyone, and I even have links to his sites on mine (without recipricals as far as I know, by the way) but that "no copy the pics" aspect of his site always bothered me. Lemme tell ya why...

Other than Dave's logos and a few pics of Dave himself, nearly every picture and graphic on his site was "taken" from somewhere else on the net, as far as I can tell.

As an example, he's got a pic of a double-stingered piece of cable with the caption, "This has been floating around on the InterNet for awhile" Well, it's been on the net since I took the pic in my office in Panama City, FL and put it on MY site. Dave's site is the only other place I've seen my double-stinger pic show up on the net, rather than "floating around" on it, like it's a common image to see.

On Dave's site, there's no mention of me or my site, where the pic REALLY originated, that I've seen, but now he's got it locked down so no one can copy it from him, as though it's his. Still with me? Same with the rest of the pics and graphics he "borrowed" from somewhere else.

On top of that, you can now buy it on a mug and other merchandise through his site, which I'm sure Dave would make a little change on, again without any permission from or acknowledgement to any of the folks he "borrowed" these pics from, just as though they belong to him.

Now, I doubt Dave's actually made any money off my double-stinger pic, and honestly, I don't care if he does. It's just the point of him locking it all down like it's his, when it really isn't anyway, ya know?

Maybe Dave's worried someone will steal his logos, I don't know, but personally, I wouldn't worry much about them.

Open up your site Dave. Nobody's going to steal your logos, and the pics don't belong to you in the first place.

Buck

> First, let me say that I, as I'm sure many others do, enjoy reading and seeing much of the content that you provide for us. That being said, may I make a suggestion, Sir?
>
> When adding links here on The Bar, include the ol' target="window_blank" line in your HTML. It will make it MUCH easier to view what you are showing us! (I tried the right-click/open frame in new window, but you have the right-click blocked to keep people from stealing pics, which I totally understand!)
>
> Anyways, just a constructive suggestion ;-)
>
> Thanks.
This is CABL.com posting #62905. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mqwL
Posted in reply to: SprDave - SIR ;-) by FiberDood
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: SprDave - SIR ;-) TnT Inc 2/27/2002 10:51:00 PM
Re: SprDave - SIR ;-) sprdave 2/27/2002 10:37:00 PM