Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Deficit Cut in Half Under Obama

Yes I said Obama wanted to leave troops and wanted an SOFA. What you must realize is that your source added some words that Obama didnt say. Either wach the debate on youtube or google the transcript, but you will see your source clearly is trying mislead his auduience.  I used NPR's transcripts.Obama said he did want to to leave 10,000 troops. Later in the debate Romney said he only wanted to leave 5000. Obama never made the "no, no, no, no,...." comment included in the article you posted.

Maliki did offer to sign SOFA that included a lessor form of immunity. The 2008 SOFA had an immunity clause that was ratified by the entire Iraqi Congress.  This time, Maliki offered an executive order kind of immunity that would not be voted on by his Congress, and therefore was not really law. Obama was advised by the Military attorneys not to accept the lessor immunity clause for the kind of residual force we were intending to leave, and the chief Justice in Iraq said this kind of executive order would violate the Iraqi constitution.

Obama did not lie. Obama's number was 5000 troops.  3,500 permanents, 1,500 rotating, and 2 F16's.

Some of this information can be found in the hyperlink contained in your post.

Also, heres text from 2008 a campaign speech. This is clear proof he planned to leave a residual force.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/us...anted=all&_r=0

"To achieve that success, I will give our military a new mission on my first day in office: ending this war. Let me be clear: we must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in. We can safely redeploy our combat brigades at a pace that would remove them in 16 months. That would be the summer of 2010 – one year after Iraqi Security Forces will be prepared to stand up; two years from now, and more than seven years after the war began. After this redeployment, we’ll keep a residual force to perform specific missions in Iraq: targeting any remnants of al Qaeda; protecting our service members and diplomats; and training and supporting Iraq’s Security Forces, so long as the Iraqis make political progress"
This is CABL.com posting #363919. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbGPP
Posted in reply to: Re: Deficit Cut in Half Under Obama by johnmc3
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Deficit Cut in Half Under Obama johnmc3 10/3/2014 10:25:59 AM