Create your free account now! Sign up

Is BICSI the way?

After almost 20 years of CATV/Satellite, I am looking for something better.

I started in 1995 as an in house installer for Time Warner, moved to maintenance in 97 and proofed plant for the 550mhz/cable modem upgrade. In 2000 I moved to Comcast on the East coast and built/rebuilt 3 headends and 2 roadside hubs. When Comcast swallowed up TCI/ATT I left for the contracting side and supervised teams on both cable and DirecTV (MasTec). Most recently I was Ops Manager for a small operation, and now I moved to underground - drops only, no mainline.

I'm done with fulfillment, will never go back. People tell me it's the Baltimore market that's bad, and that anywhere else is "normal." I've been burned so many times, half a dozen companies closing shop and moving out, etc...and I'm done with lazy techs and fixing their work. But I am mostly done with the way MSO's crack the whip and push us against each other.

I want a complete move away from anything that looks like a piece of coax, and something that pays a lot more. I never had formal telephone training, and my only job related experience was putting  together cat5 jumpers and hooking up EMTA's in the field.

I would like to someday design/build and test data centers, work on business office phone systems, etc.

What would be the first step? I am prepared to pay a little to get there.

This is CABL.com posting #361847. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbGip
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Is BICSI the way? johnmc3 5/24/2014 4:52:54 PM
Re: Is BICSI the way? catvdoneright 5/24/2014 4:16:42 PM