Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: sa gainmaker setup

cablegenie,

First of all, the Gainmaker amplifier was not intended to be used like an old conventional trunk (individual  Trunk and Bridger modules) station. In the old days we ran the trunk roughly 10-15dB less (than the bridger output) to control the distortions created. When we wanted to utilize the feeder, the bridger was ran at a much higher output level BECAUSE the design (normally) limited the LE's to a maximum of 2 more in cascade past that point, and were usually derated by 3dB for distortion purposes.

The Gainmaker cascades were limited to a MAXIMUM of 6 to 8 deep due to the distortions being created (it is normal for an active amplifier to create distortions) so the cascades were limited in the design. They are nothing more than 3-output line extenders with an interstage. The same with the Philips GNA or TNA. Simply put, you would not cascade 10 line extenders so why cascade 10 Gainmakers?

I am assuming that if you have an input of +15dBmV you should have about a 5 to a 6 dB pad in the input. Not knowing your designed output levels or what type of input or interstage pads/EQ's you are using I can not give exact information if the +15dBmV is incorrect or not, but 15dBmV is a bit high to hit the 1st hybrid with AFTER the pad and EQ.

My guess, if you are not having problems BEFORE Gainmaker station #8 in cascade, and only AFTER, this may be your problem. In this case you will need to figure out how to reduce the cascade.

I used to work for SA and Philips. Drop me a PM if you need any more assistance.

Good luck!

Greg Tobin
Interactive Broadband Technical Services, LLC

This is CABL.com posting #361055. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbF5D
Posted in reply to: sa gainmaker setup by cablegenie
There are 0 replies to this message