Create your free account now! Sign up

Just my 2 cents for the day.....

Here's my two cents on all the 'bad mouthing' and bad experiences of companies and technicians.

I've been in the Satellite and Cable business for over 18 years.  Have I been screwed - DEFINATELY! Do I bad mouth companies - no.  Mostly because I've left because of reasons of my own and others are still there and have no issues.

Here's some tips I've want to share in my opinion:

This job IS NOT for everyone!

If you feel you've been screwed by a company and left- don't go back! Especially if they want to take you back! Generally that means you are going to get screwed again.  

I've gone back to companies after I've quit for MY reasons, with no issues.

I've also worked as a sub for companies that other people have bad mouthed with no issues. I do research.  But I've been burned as well!

A lot of the negativity I see on CL, forums or here is from 'newer' technicians/Companies.  They say, didn't get paid, got chargebacks, shorted money, lost money etc..-my advice, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO, talk to other techs/Subs.   I'm used to not getting paid for the first 3 -4 weeks.  When I train or interview, I try to let them know EVERYTHING! This job is NOT for everyone! You are investing a lot of money to do this (GAS, tools, meters, truck, parts etc).  And you will not make $2k/week right out of the gate- there is a learning curve…..I'm still learning after 18 years.  And generally - you ARE working for YOURSELF!

Before working for them, do a little research: Get info on the company - Google - BBB etc. Get information on the site manager-TALK to him, ask him if you can talk to a few techs that have been there for over a year or the longest employee/sub they have? How long has the site manager been there? How long has the company been in business? If all is well, they will have no problem with any of it.

As far as chargebacks, money withheld and the negativity….I hardly get them, every now and then I do get a few here or there - IT HAPPENS and usually, it WAS my mistake.  IF you are doing your job correctly, you shouldn't get that many chargebacks…leave your name and phone number, chances are, the customer will call you first for an issue, and answer the phone or call them back ASAP….. If you have a good rapport with the Site Manager or DTV/Dish/Cable Company etc manager, you are a good technician, chances are, they will call you, let you know there's been a call in, just take the time and go fix it and they delete it for you! 

If you're done for the day, and your next job isn't for another 3-4 hours…call the customer see if they can be there earlier, if not - first thing I do, pick up another job! If that's not your thing, go shopping, take a nap etc…don't complain about missing happy hour - this is your job and you signed up for it.

This forum is meant for information, but one or two guys complaining about a company doesn't mean the company is bad, just means, like me, they had some issues with them and they are venting…the other techs they have may still be with them….but it can be correct as well - DO more research before working for them!!!

BE NICE AND YOU WILL ALWAYS GET RESULTS! Don't scream at customers or your boss or Human Resources, if you have a good case and records, chances are you will get paid if they are a good company, so do research. When I get a chargeback, I ask for the customers information, so I can confirm or try and remember what I did.  And in most cases, you can fight the chargeback IF you did the job correctly, but then again, a lot of times I just live with it.

If you don't want to do the job because something doesn't feel right, or the customer is already pissed, it's a BAD situation, don't do the job - walk away, just document and let dispatch or supervisor know this. 

READ the contract you are signing! Don't just base it on what a guy hiring you says! Most contracts state in them they will hold $X for 90 days to cover chargebacks etc AFTER you leave or get fired…most companies have paid me that 'hold' back, or the difference because I DID receive a chargeback and was no longer there. And it also states in there WHAT YOU ARE responsible for doing!

Keep all your records, receipts, work orders for pay and for the IRS.

Worst case scenario, I've NEVER done this (don't know if I would personally), but know a handful who have and they WERE getting screwed royally and were good technicians and it WAS a fly by night operation (check with your state laws first):  They had their records and work orders, they put liens on the CUSTOMERS homes for work performed AS A CONTRACTOR and let the customers know why this was happening in a nice way. The customer PROMPTLY called the provider, and guess what, provider called contracting company and they got paid FAST!  But READ your contract first, it may state that you can NOT do this, and you DID sign the contract!  I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS!

Everything you read on the internet is NOT true, contrary to the commercial.......  LOL

Just my two cents…..Have a great day guys, and BE SAFE!

This is CABL.com posting #354762. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbEr8
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: Just my 2 cents for the day..... kabldude 11/11/2013 10:19:39 PM
Re: Just my 2 cents for the day..... 330cableguy 11/10/2013 6:53:00 PM
Re: Just my 2 cents for the day..... RichardManrico 11/10/2013 3:11:53 PM
Re: Just my 2 cents for the day..... sasealace 6/24/2013 11:46:43 AM
Re: Just my 2 cents for the day..... dancox 5/20/2013 4:05:02 PM