Create your free account now! Sign up

How close is too close?

OK I got a question for you, I don't deal with coax much anymore but every now and then a job calls for it.
So I have a building that had to have duel plant run in it. One side is for a county INet use the other side is for the local MSO. I told the crew that the MSO side was not to be tapped out that the MSO will do it because they want to use their own brand of taps. No biggie I completely understand.

So anyway the crew tapped out both runs and the MSO comes in and refuses to activate their run. I give my contractor hell and have him remove the taps on the MSO run.
 Now the MSO says they can't activate the line because it would have a straight splice within 3 feet of an active. They claim there would be too much reflection because it too close.

WTF? That's the first time I ever heard of that. I've done lots of retro splicing and pole transfers where we had to piece out the cable and I never heard of a SS properly cut in giving too much reflection at 3ft. I've done sweep and I've never seen a good splice give too much reflection.

Is this something new? For me I can fix the problem really quick by having the crew cut out another 7 feet of coax but I'd like to get your guys opinion.
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #352388. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbDPQ
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: How close is too close? goodsky 2/5/2013 2:37:09 PM