Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Coax expansion-contraction

Well when we did tenn systems back in 96-2001.  I had pride in my work.  I would break down my connectors that way I could still get new ,clean cores.  While the others would  cut the cable right behind the old feed thru and add a extension fitting.  This would save them a little time but mine looked like a new plant.  But with prices as low as they are I gues the other guys had the right idea.  I probably could have made alot more money had I followed their example. I still cut my fittings tight and that usually adds a inch which helps( which I push back into the loop.  And you can't really notice it in the loop.  It may be sixinches but I think it is only 4inches it takes to make a loop.  I will still add input loops to all splitters and actives.  And  my dad made us put them on all terminating taps on s job we did in Pembroke Va back in 95.  And if you can get to it with a truck put input/output  loops on every where you can it looks good, and ,makes it easier on the person that comes behind you. I always tried to live by the philsophy that it may be me that is coming back to it and it might be 3 in the morning and raining when I did have to fix it.  Although we knew it already, Twc has gotten smarter with not putting a strap within 4-8 inches from a bend.  That keeps it from working that cable in the bend and breaking it.  And a old timer told me almost 20 years ago that a tap bracket should only be tight enough to keep on the strand, but not so tight it can't slide if needed. And another old lineman told me that tight lashing wire while it looks better will break before lashing wire that is just slightly looser. And he built and owned a lot of plant.  So he saw what worked as he built it and worked on it twenty years later.  Both make since.  Rule of thumb is it the fast temp swings is usually when it happens. Have even seen broke housings here in S.C. and we don't get that cold at all. Try one of the taps and see what you are taking out versus what you putting back in. But 1 -3"  extension will not be enough for a expansion loop by itself if there no other factors to give you some extra length.  Maybe a cable stretcher would help.  I think the other linemen and splicers on here would agree.  Good luck and always remember you can learn alot from a old timer.  More loops = More better= Better for the person who has to work on it for next 20 years= customer that would use you again and again because they know you did quality work. Quality over quanity.  That's your signature up there
This is CABL.com posting #343061. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbBpp
Posted in reply to: Re: Coax expansion-contraction by Mapcomm Canada Inc.
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Coax expansion-contraction Mapcomm Canada Inc. 5/3/2012 5:44:39 PM
Re: Coax expansion-contraction RealSplicer 5/2/2012 8:24:25 AM