Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Quest Integrated ? WildBlue - Contractor pays

Not going to name mso but they are a large one.  But in seven years  there have been two price cuts 5% off the top each time, but that is 10% in the lower end( what I make).  Well none of the subs are making much money. Construction, coax, fiber etc.  To the point if you take fuel off the top of the gross, the gross would equal or less than a supervisor makes.  Not counting insurance, bucket truck repairs etc.  Now to be fair it isn't the prices as much as the work that has disheartened us all.  Not all of that is the mso's fault.  No houses being built means no need for newbuild. The new price list has cut alot of the prices a good 30% -40 % average.   Some  were 55%.  The stuff we do that that actually went up is the stufff we hardly ever do anymore  (Newbuild). My partner and I do work for all three primes.  My friends have refused the new contract as have  I. I think they are scrambling. We are local and cant hardly make a living before the price cuts.  I think they are going to save alot though.  No work done, means no charge= 100 % savings.  We hate to put the primes we work for in a bind,  but we cant do it any cheaper. All the composite b.s.....(free work)  usually worth as much or more than what we are getting paid to do.  The bad thing is we have known a price change was coming but everyone was under the impression it was going to be a raise.  We were working on 8 year old contract and prices.  We have been cut twice since 2005 even though the primes prices weren't cut.  While splicing fiber the other night I was asked what I was going to do?  I replied I was going to opt out.  My prices arent getting cut again.  A bunch of bean counters and alot of contractors that cant do any of the work theirselves have gotten us into these situations.  Everyone cutting 5-10% to get the contract then passing it down to the sub.  Well what happens when that sub isn't there to pass it to?    I think the next month is going to be interesting.  And glad I have work back up the road starting in a few weeks.  Quit being job scared.  Be fair, firm, honest but negotiable and as said in movie Roadhouse always be nice. Go get a regular job for a while if need be.  I have been on my own in this business since 1993.  I have worked a regular job for  9 months during that time.  I started splicing coax out of a toyota tercell.  I  sold  4 bucket trucks  10 years ago.  All of my equipment is paid for next month.  I have a 6 soon to be 7 buckets and it doesn't bother me that I only use 3 regulary.  I will not ask someone to work and lose money , so I can make money.  My belief is if its not a good deal for all involved then its a bad deal for all.   No point in being broke and tired,  you can be one or the other just fine.  Notice I use my name on here and always have, and my point of this if we are going to do it you can too. Make a plan and stick to it.  Good luck  whewww!!
This is CABL.com posting #340748. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbAN6
Posted in reply to: Re: Quest Integrated ? WildBlue - Contractor pays by riker35601
There are 0 replies to this message