Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Home Networking

I think the easiest way to get this accomplished is to purchase a Motorola Cable Modem and Router combination.  It is both a modem and router built into one.  In return you can charge the client a modem rental fee.  We charge $5.99 and a installation fee of $50.00.  With the motorola combo modem/router it comes from the manufacture with a preset network key also known as a wpa/psk key/code.  The code is about 16-18 numbers and letters.  It is impossible for another person to pick up on the clients network due to this really long key.  The key is on a sticker on the bottom of the modem so if the client wants to add other devices or let others jump off their service they can look on the bottom of the modem and give them the wpa/psk code.  Now you can change this passcode by login into the router and can change it to whatever you want but i think its best to leave it with this long key so other people will not cut down on the bandwith.  After the client is done with the service they will have to return the equipment to you or pay a replacement fee of whatever you set ours is $80.00.  IF the key is changed there is a reset button on the back to restore the key to its default 16-18 character key that came from the manufacture so this way you can put that same modem back into the field.  Now if the client provides there own router and or modem then it should be there responsibility to set that up due to legal issues that can arise by you doing it and having their password.  If you set their own router password they can come back and say "well this guy set the password and i think he logged on and got some vital and private information" and that could be bad news.  Thats why we only set up a router if they rent it from us and that takes all responsibility out of our hands.  One more thing not all clients will have a wireless card on all of there devices that they want internet access too.  Say for example they have two desktop computers and both are not wireless and the only way to get access is to have both hard wired with a ethernet cable you can instruct them to go purchase a usb adapter and make one of them wireless then they can simply search for the network and enter the key thats on the modem.  A adapter can be purchased at most retail stores that supply computer components. This is my suggestion to help out with you wanting to get into doing networking.
This is CABL.com posting #340054. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbACU
Posted in reply to: Home Networking by jmiller
There are 0 replies to this message