Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: WAKE UP Installers!!!

The problem with this business is that there are too many hands in the pie. Many companies want to pay the least possible wage for an installation, or for any work that needs to be done. They do not take into account the rising cost of living. Fuel charges alone eat away at a lot of our profit, not to mention the cost of insurance and tools that many of us have to purchase on our own. Companies nowadays are also doing everything to keep their customers happy, therefore if a customer complains of even the most minute thing, they insist on giving that customer something free. Well it isn't free, many times, these 'freebies'  are taken out of the technician's pockets. This is just wrong, and it is a practice that needs to stop.

Also companies do not want to pay for experience, they want to pay the least possible wage and expect exceptional work to be done. I am sorry but a good technician with experience is worth what he wants to charge, and it is certainly more than the minimum wage that most companies want to pay contractors today.

You have sales people and company owners that have never done an installation in their lives, never crawled under a trailer or inside an attic, deciding what makes a decent wage. Its just like politicians deciding on minimum wage, I am sure if just one of them worked for a week for minimum wage, they would make changes immediately.

Change needs to start, techs need to not be afraid to say "No", "I demand to be paid fairly". Also a good recommendation would be for some techs and installers to take a few human resource classes, especially those that cover the laws that protect Contractors and those employed under AT WILL contracts/agreements. There are a lot of laws in place to protect us and we need to make our voices heard in an educated manner. No change ever came without sacrifice.

This is CABL.com posting #338404. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbAci
Posted in reply to: Re: WAKE UP Installers!!! by whocares1984
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: WAKE UP Installers!!! ronjrcosten 1/20/2012 8:52:12 AM