Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Not Possible Testing At Tap "F" Port

The method I'm talking about is for 1 person working in the field by himself, using the spectrum analyzer in an SDA 5000.  Of course, the best way is to have a guy sitting in the headend on an actual spectrum analyzer, and watching every movement.  That isn't always possible.

The CATV industry has a bad name, because no one wants to do actual work anymore.  Too many contractors have historically done crappy work as fast as possible to make as much money as possible in the shortest time possible so they can move on to the next project, and repeat the process.  Couple that with an industry of in-house technicians who think the solution to forward and return level problems is to change pad values rather than actually sweep the plant, and find and repair the real problems.

I've been in cable for 22 years(12 years in-house with TCI & COX, & 10 years as a contractor), and the quality of work being performed today is deplorable.  I've worked as a Sweep Tech(both in-house and as an independent contractor), and as a Project Supervisor on several major rebuilds/upgrades. 

As a Sweeper, you see what condition an MSO's physical plant is actually in.  Way too many cheap/quick/wrong fixes, and not nearly enough people fixing the real problem correctly.  Let's not repair a crack, let's wrap it with aluminum tape.  Let's not dig up a bad spot in the trunk or feeder and repair it, let's drop the pad value by 4-5 values instead.  On and on.

As a Project Super, I QC'd field work and corresponding documentation daily.  The level that guys would go to in an attempt to cheat is beyond belief.  How many guys will sit in the same location, trying to pass off 1 EOL as 10 different locations?  Guys that manipulate an Amp's output levels to reflect what the input levels should be, so they can use it as an input level picture, because the actual input levels are out of spec rather than find/fix the real problem.  On and on.

MSO operators that refuse to spend a reasonable amount of money on desperately needed maintenance.  Instead, they dump the money into sales and marketing, thinking it will save them.  I have an idea, instead of doing regular maintenance on our plant, let's slash our workforce, and pool our money into sales and advertising.  Why worry about saving customers, when we can attract new ones.  As long as service providers believe that new customers are worth more than existing ones, that problem won't go away, and they will continue to lose more customers to other service providers.  As an in-house guy, you were always told that a new customer was worth a certain amount(let's say $30), while an existing customer was worth much less(let's say $8).  MSO's run their business completely backward than what they should.  Put your money into plant maintenance, so you have a good, reliable product that sells itself, and keeps your existing customers happy, so you don't have to worry about retention.

These are the reason why the industry is in the shape it's in.
This is CABL.com posting #334473. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbzaT
Posted in reply to: Re: Not Possible Testing At Tap "F" Port by Joe50
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Not Possible Testing At Tap "F" Port Joe50 10/20/2011 6:25:14 PM