Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: TCI/Jones Intercable

I used to work for Tribune Cablevision (Megavision of Lakewood, CA) a new-build back in the mid-1980's. Jones Intercable bought all the Tribune properties after I left there. Many were Tribune-United ventures I believe. Those were the days of new builds and franchise promises to city and school districts.

The "Promise 'em ANYTHING years" in Southern California alone (1980-1990) was a great time for the contractor and the industry. Back then in Los Angeles and Orange Counties around 1985, there were around 13 different cable franchises, everything from Times-Mirror Cablevision to Stohr Cablevision. I remember being on poles in Orange County (Buena Park, CA) where there were 3 different active cable plants (Rodgers Cable, Buena Vision and Copley-Colony Cable) and the installers would constantly hook up customers to the wrong system! And that was just Southern California!

I remember endless builds and bottomless pockets in those days. Even the "Western Show", the LARGEST cable convention in the world was held each year in Anaheim at the convention center and HBO, Cinemax, Jerrold and countless others would drop MEGABUCKS to the customers and attendees with entertainment only seen on TV today. It would be nothing to see "Hughie Lewis and the News" and the "B-52's" play at a party after the exhibits closed for the day! It was like a yearly party for the entire industry and EVERYBODY was there.

Besides, I am an old ATC guy who has seen much change also. Time-Warner is still a great company that has lasted over the years and does have a goal for active maintenance for the most part as they always have on the RF plant from my experiences.

I could run my mouth forever about the past but I would just bore most people here.

Greg

This is CABL.com posting #328743. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbxGt
Posted in reply to: TCI/Jones Intercable by Splicer Life 4me
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: TCI/Jones Intercable karg 6/7/2011 6:52:33 AM
Re: TCI/Jones Intercable Gary Vest 6/7/2011 3:07:25 AM
Re: TCI/Jones Intercable Phantom Splicer 6/6/2011 2:27:27 AM