Create your free account now! Sign up

Will this end the bickering? For me, yes.

Really been spending too much time on all this discussion crap that has just gotten too redundant. I was watching TV and somehow began thinking about all that has been said/proclaimed. As I said so many posts ago, I am not attempting to stop anyone from their personal beliefs, nor am I trying to convert anyone to my beliefs (unlike others here) because that is a no-win situation for everyone.

I guess the biggest reason I started thinking about it all, is what I said in response to Gary Vest in another thread about his providing 'proof' of his beliefs. He [and Robman] has the stance that the bible is all the proof they need. Now, what I am about to say should make them both take stock and stop this nonsensical nonsense about there being a vengeful God and needing to be born again to enter the kingdom of heaven.

The bible, as I think we all can (should?) agree is nothing more than a story book, not so unlike every other book ever written. Key word here being 'STORY'. Have you ever noticed that when someone tells you a story, they say they heard it from someone who was there? So then you go ask that person [who was supposed to have been there] and they say that they heard it from someone who was there? The bible is exactly like that. There are books in the bible that weren't written for a 1000 years after the crucifixion of Jesus that make it sound like they were there.

Point being of course that one is [ideally] supposed to take the lesson the story is telling, not to take the story literally word for word. How can anyone accept (even with the greatest faith possible) word for word what the story tells? For example; the little engine that could. Great story. The lesson being taught is that no matter what, if one sets their mind to it, it will be. It isn't to be taken so literally that the only point of the story is to get up a hill. That is in there as an analogy only, not to be taken literally. And so is the bible.

I really don't need to beat this dead horse any longer, so I hope y'all can understand (using the common sense that God granted to you) exactly AND precisely what I have been saying. Keep your beliefs, just don't start spouting ultimatums based on literal interpretations from a story book written thousands of years ago by men that were, well...men. We all know how falable man is, and with this in mind, how can anyone take these words so literally?

Have a great weekend coming up, stay safe in your work, keep believing in God being the greatest power (Lord knows we ALL have to have something to believe in to make life worthwhile) and take care. There is no more that needs to be said [by me] about this subject. Nobody here can deny (while remaining honest to themselves) any of this as anything less (or more) than the actual truth to the matter. HOWEVER, if one still believes that the stories written over 1000 years after the death of Jesus as literal correctness because 'they were there', you are mistaking your mental illness for faith and you need psychological help...quickly. Peace out.

Dogs aren't our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
This is CABL.com posting #323725. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbwnx
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Will this end the bickering? For me, yes. LocoDawg 3/25/2011 7:08:24 PM
Re: Will this end the bickering? For me, yes. Gary Vest 3/24/2011 6:18:47 AM