Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Japan

seriously man, they're still hoping to find survivors, might want to let them burry the dead before you worry about cable TV, oh and mostly they do satelite there.

They might do TV over fiber now, last i was there was around 05 and they had 100MB fiber links to the home. You would unquestionably need to speak fluent japanese to get any civilian job there, might be hard to know what streets to go to if you can't understand your supervisor. Quite frankly without a JN to guide you or an american base to go back to, I wouldn't give most americans a week in japan before heading to the embassy to figure out how to get home.

Seriously, first time I went out alone in japan i was lost for about 4 or 5 hours, walking around, completely and uterly lost. I tried to ask for directions, but no one spoke english. Some were afraid of me because I was white and just ran away when I tried to approach them.

Without family or military sponsorship there are really only 3 visas you could get. Student, Entertainer, or Teacher. (english teacher) which is the most easily gotten if you have a 4 year degree. Look for english schools in japan, most have job listings. They do not import workers like we do here in the US. There really is no working visa program in japan. (of course this could change if they need certain skills to rebuild)

Be warned, Japan is one of the most expensive places in the world to live. Beers run $10 in a bar. Studio apartments can be $1500 a month in tokyo, 1k outside the city. I don't know about the specific area around the heart of the earthquake. It is NOTHING to drop $100 on dinner and a couple of drinks for dinner. (just for yourself, forget your date, and often after work socializing with coworkers and bosses is semi-required.)

I could go on and on, but bottom line is that unless you've been there, like ex-military or have family or friends there, I'd forget the idea.

This is CABL.com posting #323587. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbwlj
Posted in reply to: Re: Japan by pmcg1976
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Japan jmiller 3/22/2011 5:11:15 AM