Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: FTTH testing specs

Totally understand your quote about the engineers. Here were I work there are three that design jobs that just makes you want to throw up. Also, to me a .12 of .15 per splice is very generous. Here it is .06 loose tube and .09 for ribbon, no exceptions.

Most of the circuits are a DS3 or even less, so yes your light level is going to work as long as it is within the requirements of the equipement. But if that same span is used for something more that requires an oc48, or an oc192, that is were a single splice with high loss is going to start effecting how the end equipement works, especially if it is a ring. All circuits are effected by chromatic dispersion, but it really affects high end circuits.

It does not seem like much, but just one splice that is at .24 can severly affect a higher end span.  These have timers that will put everything into alarm and make everyone in nroc goe into spasm mode. Light still gets through, circuit is up, packets are getting in, but with some loss. This in turn affects the timing which sends it into alarm. Upon further inspection one end of the ring is coming in a few nano seconds behind the other. The hops can be broken down to determine were the packets are dropping, once the span is singled out, a trace detects a high loss splice (.24). Tech is dispatched to correct splice. Once fixed alarm clears and nroc is happy(because customer quits calling about equipement in critical alarm).

They are just thinking of the future when we will all be on 10gig connections. It is frustrating and environment does come into factor when splicing, I won't bore you with stories. There is a lot of equipement available these days to bring your splices into spec. Keep up the fight.

This is CABL.com posting #321674. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbvQs
Posted in reply to: FTTH testing specs by fuze-it
There are 0 replies to this message