Create your free account now! Sign up

FTTH testing specs

Just wanted to b*tch to anyone that would listen...I've been splicing since the late 90's and I understood the specs for the long haul networks we spliced back then.  What I don't understand is buckling down on the fiber to the home specs to .15db or .12db per splice.  I know the equipment now is better than it used to be but now we're splicing at pedestals in less than productive environmental conditions.  As always, the splicing contractor has to test for free and usually only has 2 or 3 units to build everything into.  What would be the problem with just creating a budget based on the number of splices, connectors and distance and just requiring power meter shots.  The higher end units tell the distance and the loss and if it's within budget who cares if one splice is a .24 if the other three are .05db.  The amount of testing required by "engineers" (I use that word loosely these days) makes it pretty damn tough to not only complete these projects profitably but also on time...I see more and more people cheating because there's no way they can make the spec without going broke.  Was the RUS spec so inadequate that it needs to be customized by every engineering company?  Loss is loss whether it's all in the same spot or spread out through the entire strand so why so much re-work trying to fix something that overall still passes the spec from end to end.  It's the equivalent of kicking pebbles off the highway......just frustrated I guess.
This is CABL.com posting #321533. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbvOb
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: FTTH testing specs idaho 2/11/2011 2:30:22 PM
Re: FTTH testing specs WeeWah 2/8/2011 8:46:42 PM
Re: FTTH testing specs Joe50 2/8/2011 8:30:27 PM