Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: This is for all you lineman out there...

You're absolutely right, a lot of systems do believe their way is the industry standard. However a lot of what we do is common sense and in this particular situation we rebuilt the spans identical to what the rest of their plant looked like. Some spans of downed cable were intact but were not attached and the spans that were like that did not have an input loop at the tap location. Like I said before we rebuilt those spans according to what their current system looked like. But you're right, a spec. sheet should have been in order prior to the work, but of course when you have worked the system for over 6 months doing maintenance work and none of your work was in question up until this point, this raises a red flag. Another comment made from one of the system engineers was that "that's the reason why this system is so messed up, water gets in to the taps without the loops". As far as i'm concerned, an expansion loop is not there to prevent water from entering any particular device but is there for the expansion and contraction of the cable during the climate changes the coaxial cable is exposed to.

But then again, I might be another cable grunt who doesn't know any better....

This is CABL.com posting #313117. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbtCr
Posted in reply to: Re: This is for all you lineman out there... by sweepdude
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: This is for all you lineman out there... goodsky 9/11/2010 9:58:49 PM
Re: This is for all you lineman out there... johnmc3 9/11/2010 9:25:57 PM