Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Please Help a complete Idiot

Splice, I have a Linksys wireless router, it installs really easy, just follow the instructions on the disk. Mine also has 4 ports on it so you can hard-wire other devices to it like your Vontage. I have my Vontage and my printer hooked up to it so I can print from my laptop from anywhere in the house.

The main thing to remember is after you install it you may have to reboot your modem, and your Vontage so they can draw another IP.

After installation unplug power to your modem, new router, and Vontage device. Then wait for a min or two and replug your modem, when it comes back on line, (usually 4 solid green lights) then plug your router back in and wait for that to come back up, when that comes back on line than re power your Vontage. For your hard-wired computer you'll have to restart it also.

Make sure you enable the security during the setup of the router or your neighbors within 3 to 400 ft will be able to use your internet connection and maybe get personal information you don't want them to have..

If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #306958. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbr06
Posted in reply to: Please Help a complete Idiot by Splicer Life 4me
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Please Help a complete Idiot Splicer Life 4me 7/4/2010 1:58:35 PM