Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Best way to remove pole.

Every location and application is different, some locations are excesible with a digger, backhoe, simplex manual or hydrolic. Rear easement is another story in itself. I've spent the last 16 yrs doing JPA's (pole transfers) and found that a 3 ton hoist suspended from new pole by a butt chain 12' above the 5' butt works really well. The hoist chain needs to be in a straight line with the butt, and if the butt is more than a foot away, then you need to cut a guard arm and place it between the flat housing of the hoist and the new pole to keep the chain in line. The old pole went in straight so if it comes out straight thier will be least resistance, if thiers a hose in the yard your working soak the pole. This application works great, unlike the simplex, if your working close to the footing of a wall, when you jack up the simplex the top of the butt will come towards you and the butt will be binding on the concrete footing and your simplex plate will sink and the simplex will topple over, (been there done that):)....! Just make sure you use 3/8 or greater tempered chain and you will be poppin those butts out like cotton pony's. The hourly linesman days are gone, when poles went for 600+, last Oct I was doing jpa's for 200.00 per pole at a unit price, then in Jan they lowered it to 145.00 and that was at split, I'm laid off now, unemployment pays more. Good luck to all who are trying to make a living in these tuff times, Woot Woot to you Hoora!!!!..
This is CABL.com posting #305148. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbrxU
Posted in reply to: Re: Best way to remove pole. by nrb1
There are 0 replies to this message