Create your free account now! Sign up

Customer knows it all...

Had a job this morning to install an MTA. 7:15, get to the house met the cust. He asked me what was needed. I tell him cable jack and phone jack that are close together. He points to a side office that just had brand new hardwoods installed. He said there was a phone line under the floor. I said do you know where abouts? He looks at me and says "Do you even have a drill?" I told him I had all the tools needed for the job. Then he tells me that it would be best to go under the house and drill up. I paused and looked at the brand new hardwood floor, and back at him. All I simply said was "Are you sure you want to do that?" He turns to me and says " Tell you what,I want you to go outside and get in your truck and go home." "You just don't look like you know what your doing."  "I'll just have them send someone else after I run the line myself"    I gave him the main # 2 call to reschedule and left..

-Didn't have it in me to explain why you don't drill through hardwood flooring period.
-Didn't care to share that he had a ported #, and that it will take another 7 days once he calls to get the phone installed again..
-Wasn't about to tell him that putting the phone outlet in the exterior wall and running it the 6' to the NID was probably the best way to save the new hardwoods, and that it was included in the install...

So cheers to you Mr. Knowitall.. Hopefully the next guy will "look" like he knows what he's doing and when you get them floors redone for the 2nd time, think of me, the guy who looked like he didn't know what he was doing and could have also spared you some headache, time and $$..  

This is CABL.com posting #296755. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbpmx
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Customer knows it all... johnmc3 3/26/2010 9:15:54 PM
Re: Customer knows it all... walkman 3/26/2010 8:50:22 AM
Re: Customer knows it all... Chip Douglas 3/25/2010 7:27:15 PM
Re: Customer knows it all... FUNNYFARM 3/23/2010 11:46:49 PM
Re: Customer knows it all... cblfrog 3/23/2010 8:45:38 PM
Re: Customer knows it all... Sergiopc 3/23/2010 6:17:51 PM