Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Dont Understand???

The definition of management is " the ability to get work done through others "

I don't know the specifics of your situation but I would guess that your employer is asking you to learn how to manage your people. I would guess that there are many times where in your new role you have simply found it easier to jump in and do the work yourself than to have the crews or people who report to you. ( Just a guess old habits die hard )

There is nothing wrong with helping a crew or person who needs help or training, it is one of the many roles of a manager, so long as it is teaching a person to be able to do the task the next time they encounter the same situation. ( give a man a fish and he has a meal, teach a man to fish and he has a lifetime of meals, or something like that)

No matter what the business, be it cable or walmart. Being a manager comes with the good and the bad and at times you are going to have to make some tough choices and those choices will impact not only the company but all who work for that company. its easy to say well the job is done and it was done right so everything should be fine. But was it done on time, was it done within budget are only a few factors that also need to be taken into account.

management isn't for everyone and I'm not saying your not management material cause I don't know you or your situation. I'm certain that you have worked hard to get yourself in a place where you have gotten the opportunity to be where you are now and your employer has taken a chance on you as a person that they feel would be help them improve there business.

I would first check with others who are in a similar role as yours within your company and see what advise or guidance they can give you as they likely had the same issues when they first started there new roles. You can go to your human resource dept. and seek guidance from them.

I hope this helps and you are more than welcome to pm me and I will contact you directly to try and discuss more specifics if you'd like.
This is CABL.com posting #295969. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbo9R
Posted in reply to: Dont Understand??? by olndog
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Dont Understand??? Splicer Life 4me 3/17/2010 1:50:39 PM
Re: Dont Understand??? lonemonkey 3/17/2010 1:26:27 PM