Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Pelosi: Dems close on health care agreement

You are probably part of a large plan.  I know many people in similar situations as yours.  I have seen it where nurses and doctors have told family members that the person who is sick would have died years ago, if they didnt have such good insurance. These people all were part of large employer sponsered plans.  AT&T, IBM, CNA insurance, etc...... So no, its not a universal problem.

The people who are subjected to this are those who have individual plans, and plans through small businesses. When you're in a smalller plan, if one person gets sick like you were, that persons hospital bills out weighs the revenue the insurance company recieves from the plans premiums. This causes them the insurance company to raise the price for the plan. The employer will either eat the extra cost, pass them on to the employees, drop insurance all together, or drop the employee that is causing the rate hike.

The problem is that the majority of people in this country are employed by small businesses. Remember, they are the engine of our economy. A significant number of these small businesses do not offer insurance because of the cost problems we're now discussing. This leaves many Americans uninsured. So if you can find a way for small businesses and the self-employed to all become part of 1 pool. The larger pool is better equipped to take the cost hit from covering people with chronic illnesses.

But it is a big enough problem that causes healthcare costs to continue to rise at a very fast pace.  The main goal of reform is to lower the costs. Creating large pools is one of the things that helps lower costs.

BTW,  I hope you stay healthy....
This is CABL.com posting #295502. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbo2k
Posted in reply to: Re: Pelosi: Dems close on health care agreement by JD42596
There are 2 replies to this message