Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Independant Contractor? Read This

There is no need for a Prime Contractor if you're a qualified tech/installer.  Go negotiate your own contract with an MSO and start pulling work.

Oh.

Don't forget that the MSO will probibly want you to have around $3 million in operating capital at your disposal before you sign that contract.  As well as all municipal, city, county, and state business licenses.  Performance bond.  General Liability Insurance that also covers the MSO's equipment.  Store front space.  Warehouse space with a monitored alarm.  Phone service.  Electric service.  Internet service.  A couple key employees.  One to oversee the front office and a field supervisor because they want you to "work the project" and not actually "do" the project.  Because "...that's what you have employees and sub-contractors for".

All that ... in place .... BEFORE you get to sign a contract with the MSO to pull work from them.

Wait a minute!!??  That all sounds like you becoming a Prime Contractor!!

No MSO in the world is going to want to manage 300 individual sub-contractors.  It's easier paperwork for the MSO to have 4 or 5 Prime install contractors that hire 30-40 installers each to do the work.  The MSO wants to hand out work orders in bulk, collect yesterday's work orders, process that paper so they can pay the Prime.  Nice, clean, and no drama.

They don't want to deal with 300 "..my truck broke down. I can't make it in."  or "...my kid is sick, I can't make it in."  or "...I'm drunk off my ass.  I can't make it in."  or " ...why is my pay short?"  Then have to deal with all the re-routing and other misc. HR BS.

I would be nice to have a prime contract and be a one-man show.  I know I'd come back to the game to do that.  But it will NEVER happen.

Hope that's reason enough for you.
This is CABL.com posting #295002. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mboUg
Posted in reply to: Re: Independant Contractor? Read This by altec
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Independant Contractor? Read This altec 3/10/2010 5:53:22 PM