Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: More GOP Shenanigans.....

The federal government wants more people insured to lower costs.  Why do they want costs lower?  Because the federal government is probably the biggest insurer of them all. 

The public option is just one way to go.  For example, Hawaii's percentage of un-insured is really low, and that is why Hawaii is able to opt-out ofthe current federal law.  Hawaii has near universal insurance coverage, mainly, because their state law requires employers to provide a certain level of insurance.  States retain the right to be as innovative as they please.  The one main guideline is to get people insured.  The states decide how it gets done.

To my knowledge, employer mandate, public option, and healthcare exchanges are the 3 main options out there.  But as Im typing, I am realizing very little talk is heard about Taft-Harley insurance plans.  These are the kind of plans most union tradesmen receive their healthinsurance.  Most people equate union workers as being over paid.  So people usually equate union employers as  large million dollar corporations, which is not true.  Most union employers are small businesses.  These small businesses use Taft-Harley insurance plans to gain bargaining power with insurance companies.  Taft-Harley plans allow mulitple small business to become part of 1 health plan.  This lower their costs, and makes it so a ma & pa electrical repair company can provide their workers with the same insurance as the multi-million dollar electrical companies.

If Im not mistaking, all workers and all companies are able to participate in Taft-Harley plans.  This plan has allowed small businesses to provide 1st class healthcare at a low cost.  I think the only reason more non-union companies don't use Taft-Harley plans is because they opt to offer no insurance, or offer insurance where their workers pay most of the costs.  No plan can beat the cost of offering no insurance at all.
This is CABL.com posting #291599. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbn1n
Posted in reply to: Re: More GOP Shenanigans..... by JD42596
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: More GOP Shenanigans..... JD42596 2/12/2010 7:45:29 PM