Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Cable guys telling customers they own cable in

All it takes is a one or two bad techs in an area to cause that.

I was like you ... If I showed up to install modem/phone (no video) and all lines were taken by satellite ... I'd bust out my reel and put a new one on the house to the room with internet and phone.

Now ...that being said .... I can also state that there are plenty of satellite installers working after the phone/internet has already been installed.  They disco the data coax or try diplexing and screw up the subs internet/phone, then rush out in hopes the homeowner doesn't catch it until they are gone.  Sub doesn't do the math and ends up calling out the cable company to fix the internet the Sat guy just screwed up.  End result:  I end up busting out my reel and strapping a new line on the house.

Now here's how I get the video back to cable when that satellite contract is up:  I tell the customer the facts (how the Sat. guy disco'd thier internet) AFTER I get the new line installed that the sat. guy should have run.  "No.. I'm not going to charge you for the visit today, but please do reconsider who your Video provider is when your contract is up." 

Most subs are grateful for the true customer service provided by the cable company.  I've had some customers call me back out a week later to do thier video install because they dumped thier dish before the legal trial period ended.  (Nevada has a 72hr "buyers remorse" law on all purchases).  So now I'm out dropping boxes in place, getting paid for each one, and getting the commission for the sale on each one.

Like I said tho:  It happens both ways.  Both cable and satellite have good techs and bad techs.  It's how YOU deal with it as a good tech that can make the difference in the long run.
This is CABL.com posting #291281. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbnWf
Posted in reply to: Cable guys telling customers they own cable in or by thelastjet
There is 1 reply to this message