Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Charter Communications New Feild Tech needin

hopefully  they gave you the web site to run eqa to see if the modem is within spec.  if not its eqa.chartercom.com and you will have to get a login

(at modem)
In-Spec Definitions
Modem
Rx SNR:  33.0 or higher  (MER'S)
Rx Power: -12.0 - 12.0  (recieve)
Tx Power: 35.0-50.0  (transmit/return)
CMTS
Rx SNR: > 22.0  (upstream SNR/if lower than 22 its either noise on plant or in house)

also i have what you would call a cheat sheet for what levels should be coming out of the different value taps and what the return should be at the tap, i will have to get that for you wednesday.
not sure if the other areas of charter are the same but we set up our return 17 over tap value. BASICALLY ADD 17 TO THE TAP VALUE AND THAT SHOULD BE UR RETURN AT THE TAP)
if u don't have a return meter use a modem at the tap with a laptop and goto 192.168.100.1 and read the return...

if u goto a tap and have reverse tilt (when the low end is higher than the high end) turn it over for a lineman. although at the end of line taps 8value or 4 value u sometimes will have a return tilt if their is no LINE EQULIZER.  (if there is a line eq then there should be pad inside that changes the return of the end of line tap)  so basically if there is a 10 pad in the line-eq then your return of a 4value tap would  be , 31 instead of 21. the reason these are installed is b/c charter wants the inline to goto a 3way and the phone on one 7down leg and themodem on the other 7down leg and the tv's fed off the 3.5 leg . so if there was no line eq with a 10 pad on the return all end of line modems would not be in spec.if you need to amp the tv's thats fine but NEVER NEVER NEVER put a modem on a house amp. they say there is one new house amp that passes return properly but i wouldn't chance useing it.
i cant think of anything else helpful to tell u right now but feel free to ask anything you want.
oh ya if you have a meter that will let you listen to the audio of a channel or frequency, a easy way to know if you have a problem either on plant or in the house is to goto the ground block and tune to the strongest radio station in the area, if u get audio you have an open in a line and thus upstream noise. make sure all fittings in the house and at tap are wrench tight b/c being loose can cause ingress.
IF I HAVE THE ANSWER ILL TELL YOU IF NOT I WILL GET AN ANSWER FOR U....
I WOULD KILL TO HAVE THE CONTRACTORS IN MY AREA ASK FOR THESE TYPES OF THINGS.

just remember: THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE NOT ASKED!!!!!
This is CABL.com posting #288252. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbm9o
Posted in reply to: Charter Communications New Feild Tech needing As by tgivens1
There are 0 replies to this message