Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Linemen For the OP

This is directed mainly to the original poster.......

The complaining you hear is not about the working conditions. It's not about sups being on your ass. The complaining is about the treatment one receives after doing a hard days work.  EVERY utility originated with Linemen and Construction crews.  Every position, from installer to CSR, is the fruit of work completed by line and construction crews.  But how CATV differs from the others, is the fact that very little, if any, improvements have been seen in the CATV industry.  In the other utilities, pay and bennies, are better than they were in the mid-1970's.  In CATV, the pay has actually gone down while the amount of responsibility has gone up.

In other utlities, linemen set the standard, and play a key role in how their industry compensates it's workers for a day's pay. You see, the other linemen at some point took the stand and said "we want to be fairly compensated for our work".  When they use the words "We" and "our", they meant installers,CSRs, and repairmen as well.

The other utility's linemen understand that a higher paid CSR will more likely result in a higher paid installer, which would more likely result in a higher paid linemen. This is why they all bargain TOGETHER like real brothers & sisters. CATV just doesn't understand this concept. Instead of CATV lineman paving the way for higher pay to go along with the higher standards and expectations, as is done in the other utlilities. CATV linemen, instead, pave the way for apathy, and the "just be happy you're working" attitude the CATV industry is plagued with.

The average 30yr lineman will leave this industry with no pension, no 401k, no CBA, or no reteiree healthplan. So if the all so vital linemen accepts this kind of bullsh*t, why should the installer or CSR expect any better? The answer is called imporvement.  Every other utility seeks and fights for imrpovement. Why are those who desire a career in CATV expected to be any different? An even better question is, why aren't the CATV linemen leading the way in this fight?

Only in the CATV world, are the non-lineman workers not backed by their lineman, so called, brothers & sisters in their efforts to improve the industry they all share.  Although I applaud the efforts of the few installers and CSRs who actually fight to improve the industry, their battle is almost impossible without the support of the linemen, whom make it possible for EVERYBODY. From customers to installers, nothing starts without linemen. So for all the 20-30 yr vets, I have 2 questions.   In 1989, what was the price of a weeks gas and hotel stay, vs. now.  Then compare it to the wages paid for 40 hours work then, vs now.  Once you do the math, you will better understand why so many complain. 

The fight for justice in the CATV industry is a noble one. But when the guys with the most leverage aren't involved, you get the CATV industry we have today. Just take moment and imagine a CATV world, where the lady who represents a group of CSR's can sit at the table with a company and say "This is what we feel is fair, and not only do we feel this is fair, we have the backing and support of our BROTHERS & SISTERS in the line crew".   Just imagine.....

Nothing can start without the linemen. We get that. No one can dispute that. It's common sense.  You cant get to sep B, before step A has been complete. It's not rocket science to understand the vital roll of linemen,and it's not a concept that started in CATV. Every industry BEFORE CATV has known this fact.  Unfortunately, this tad bit of common sense has been used to massage the egos of many, and is used in lieu of compensation.  If I were a company, and all I had to do is tell a guy (not show him by compensating them as such) how important he/she is to the company and industry, I'd come home with a soar throat everyday from prasiing linemen. But after I got home and had my warm cup of tea, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank, as I deposit all the extra $$$$ my compliments have saved me on pensions, healthplans, etc....  

"Brother" is a word I see used alot around here, and I've never understood why.  But I guess when you factor in the fact that, all those who went down on the Titanic was a form of brotherhood, you can better understand the use of this word on the bar.  

Divide & Conquer....... Theres a reson some sayings stand the test of time....
This is CABL.com posting #285773. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbmvp
Posted in reply to: Linemen by uglyoldlineman
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Linemen For the OP uglyoldlineman 1/7/2010 9:26:12 AM
Re: Linemen For the OP TheRobMan 12/31/2009 4:02:56 PM